1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

IATF 7.1.5.1.1 Measurement system analysis (Visual Inspection)

Discussion in 'IATF 16949:2016 - Automotive Quality Systems' started by bkirch, Feb 2, 2023.

1. RonR Quality Pro

RonR Quality Pro Active Member

Bev please see my response to Miner......I don't disagree with you that visual inspection is NOT a truly effective method of detection. I responded more specifically to your statement that there was no data or subjective research to support this theory.

2. Bev D

Bev D Moderator Staff Member

I know what you are saying - I’m rejecting the premise of the statement, not just the statement.

I’m aware of the paper and it’s critiques. The problem with it is even they say that there can be 20 - 30% error rate with simple inspections. Their study wasn’t comprehensive… Hardly a ringing endorsement of the ‘average’ of 80% effective. Besides it’s not the average that matters it’s the standard deviation that will kill you. Or save your butt. And those who typically quote the 80% do do because “they head it somewhere” and “everyone knows it”. They have no clue as to the scope, data or findings in the paper.

We also need to remember that there are a lot of studies with conclusions that have proven to be 1) not supported by the actual data and/or 2) shown to be just coincidental with a confounding factor or 3) completely mis-interpreted (cherry picked from a highly specific constrained situation to a global generalization) Ranging from the Hawthorne effect to the truly stupid 1.5 sigma shift to the abomination that autism is caused by vaccinations.