1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

IATF 7.1.5.1.1 Measurement system analysis (Visual Inspection)

Discussion in 'IATF 16949:2016 - Automotive Quality Systems' started by bkirch, Feb 2, 2023.

1. bkirch

bkirch Active Member

IATF 7.1.5.1.1 states "Statistical studies shall be conducted to analyze the variation present in the results of each type of inspection, measurement, and test equipment system identified in the control plan................."

On our control plans we list visual inspection as a measurement method. This is mainly for inspecting parts for surface defects. My question is that per IATF 7.1.5.1.1 are we required to to perform an attribute MSA study on visual inspection?

My next question, is that if we are required to perform an attribute MSA study on visual inspection, would we need to do it for every part that we produce, and for every defect item that we inspect?

2. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

Unless the defects are part specific - like paint build-up due to the component shape, for example - then I can't see why it would be. You have controlled/specified visual inspection viewing criteria? Like distance? Lighting intensity? Eyesight checks?

3. bkirch

bkirch Active Member

I would say the most of the items that we inspect for are common items across our product families. No, we don't have any visual inspection viewing criteria like distance, light intensity, or eyesight checks. Training is done for new hires or for existing employees moved to a new line. We also have some pictures and actual boundary samples of what is acceptable and not acceptable.

4. qmr1976

qmr1976 Well-Known Member

Wow...the timing of this post is impeccable. We actually just got written up for this in our IATF audit last week. We could not provide a Gage R & R for our visual inspection method. Honestly, I didn't even realize there could be such a thing but she said it could just be an attribute Gage R & R that represents visual inspection on one part....not all, I believe. Basically, you're just 'calibrating' the operator, so to speak. Which sounds odd, but makes sense in a weird sort of way because obviously visual inspection can vary not only from person to person but the same person, different day. When we performed previous Gage R & Rs, we overlooked the visual aspect of inspection because it's not an actual gage. I know that sounds simple, but this is something that's been around since the company has existed and no-one ever thought to do a visual GR&R. :(

Andy Nichols likes this.
  5. bkirch

bkirch Active Member

Thanks, this is not ever come up during our IATF audits, but it could eventually. I think we could manage doing it on part. Now would you do it for only one inspector for that one part, or would you do one for all inspectors who would be inspecting that part?

6. qmr1976

You would use multiple inspectors for each part to show the variation, kind of like with an actual gage where you use multiple operators.

Andy Nichols likes this.
  7. bkirch

bkirch Active Member

Thanks, and for that one part, would your perform the study on all of the visual inspection items, or just one?

8. Andy Nichols

Exactly so.
    I'd suggest that you'll need to get control of these things.

Many moons ago, I ran the RI function and we had a LOT components with painted finishes. To ensure my 4 inspectors were somewhat "calibrated" on what to look for, we set up a viewing environment, checked the lighting level (checked with lux meter), wrote an instruction (view at arm's length, not longer than 2 minutes etc) and then gave them examples with defects (or not) to see what they detected - and to observe them doing it correctly. They would often lift the parts closer if they "thought" there was a defect and we could smack 'em on the head to stop them doing that :D

It worked well. Once in a while, we'd introduce some marginal defects to verify what they were actually detecting.

9. qmr1976

From what I gathered from the audit, it sounds like we only need to do it for one visual inspection. Honestly, they leave it wide open for interpretation here which is why IATF frustrates me so. It's very vague in places, so some companies feel they have to go above and beyond to satisfy that one difficult auditor, but if the auditor is actually worth their salt, they won't take the standard to the extreme and just base it off what's required, not what their expectation or opinion of the standard is. We've had way too many auditors in years past this way, but not recently. That's when you have to stand your ground and be confident that what you have is in fact meeting the standard how it's written.....albeit vague....like the old saying goes...'clear as mud'. :rolleyes:

10. Andy Nichols

Well yes, that's right. It's your choice. It shouldn't be on any auditor to decide. Now, if you aren't controlling the inspections (along the lines of my previous post) then it's hard to demonstrate you have control - and training isn't alone, going to work. Now, add to that, the fact that (some) IATF auditors are less experienced than you are and we get a trainwreck - which is why we're here to help.

I learned my approach from someone else who had the same challenges, in a different industry - but comparable "visual" qualities (actually the hi-fi sound equipment market). I'm not smart enough to create my own, but I know a good process when I see one. So I copied it.

When you know what works, you are better able to stand your ground against clueless auditors...

Last edited: Feb 2, 2023
    andic and qmr1976 like this.
  11. qmr1976

100% agree! :cool:

Andy Nichols likes this.
  12. Bev D

Bev D Moderator Staff Member

As I responded to your same question at the Cove:

If you have a visual inspection listed in your control plan you must perform a statistical study. This is exactly what the standard says as you quoted it... Since visual inspection typically only involves categorical (aka attribute) data then you must perform an “attribute study”. Any statistical study of inspections, measurements or tests is called a MSA (or colloquially a Gauge R&R). SO, you must perform an attribute MSA. But more importantly you should regardless of the requirements of the standard. Visual inspection is notoriously variable and ineffective so if you are relying on this it is in your best interest to perform the study, understand the effectiveness and improve it where necessary. OR you will have heck to pay in dealing with the inevitable inspection miss that makes it to your Customer….that will be far more painful than executing standard ‘good quality engineering practice’…

As to your last question about every part and defect, the answer is basically yes. UNLESS you can reasonably justify that many parts and defects are so similar and they are inspected under the same lighting, training and time to inspect conditions that they constitute a family of parts.

In this case the standard is perfectly clear - regardless of how an incompetent auditor may ‘interpret’ it.

13. bkirch

bkirch Active Member

So I believe for an Attribute MSA, if there one was one disagreement or error, the MSA would be considered as not passing. However, most attribute MSA's that I have seen use an attribute gage. For visual inspection, is there any information that says what kind of disagreement or error should be allowed? Most people have heard the saying visual inspection is only about 80% effective. I am not sure we should allow a 20% error, but 0% for visual inspection doesn't sound right.

14. Bev D

First: the statement that visual inspection is only 80% effective is a zombie myth. There is no data or subjective research to substantiate this made up claim. It persists despite all evidence to the contrary. Please erase it from your memory. Now remember that even with sampling plans for attributes data are based on assumption that there will be some level of defects that the plan will accept and pass. This level is based on the severity of the defect and what number of defects are acceptable given the cost and severity…this is determined by you or your Customer. So for an attribute MSA you establish the same type of level. Based on the severity and cost, how many defects can you - and your Customer - tolerate that are incorrectly assessed as acceptable and how many are incorrectly assessed as rejectable. In other words what false acceptance and false rejection rate can you tolerate. This requires a bit of math but doesn’t all engineering, science, accounting, etc.?

RonR Quality Pro likes this.
  15. Bev D

Attached is a guidance I wrote for my last organization on MSA. In it is a section on how to conduct attribute (categorical) MSAs and how to calculate false acceptance and false rejection rates. You might find it helpful. It also has references for further study...

Attached File(s): 1. Scan for viruses before using. 2. Report any 'bad' files by reporting this post. 3. Use at your own Risk.:

16. Mikey

Mikey Member

We have had auditors ask us about this since the days of TS, so it definitely can come up some day.

17. RonR Quality Pro

RonR Quality Pro Active Member

Bev: Although I hesitate to disagree with your first statement that 80% effectiveness is a zombie myth, there have been studies performed which suggest that this is a useful approximation (Drury & Fox, 1975). I agree that it is not an 'exact' figure, but it does provide an approximation of the success rate that you can have relying on visual inspection alone.

qmr1976 likes this.
  18. Miner

Miner Moderator Staff Member

The effectiveness of visual inspection will vary a lot depending on a number of factors. Some highly influential factors include the type of defect (i.e., how easy it is to see), the operational definition of the defect (i.e., how easy it is to correctly classify), the relative frequency of occurrence (i.e., rare defects are easier to miss), etc. While 80% might be an overall average, the variation of individual scenarios around this 80% is very wide.

19. Bev D

Helpful for what? As Miner has said the variation of visual inspection is quite wide. So wide that it cannot possibly help you ‘know’ is your system is good, bad or indifferent. It might be helpful to spur the recalcitrant on to performing an actual study, but other than that I am at a loss as to how it would help anyone.

20. RonR Quality Pro

RonR Quality Pro Active Member

Absolutely agree Miner - there are a number of variables which will influence the effectiveness of visual inspection. The '80%' figure is a 'best case' approximation which guides you to understand that even under ideal conditions, you cannot expect 100% effectiveness from visual inspection alone. I have dealt with management people many MANY times over the years, who feel that just adding a visual inspection at the end of the line will 'prevent' (their words, not mine) defects.