1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

How do you interpret this phrase in the standard?

Discussion in 'ISO 9001:2015 - Quality Management Systems' started by claudiogut, Sep 7, 2023.

1. claudiogut

claudiogut Member

We had a Stage 1 audit yesterday and there was a significant amount of talk about the competence of the employees. One phrase in particular stands out to me. I've attached a screenshot but the phrase is:

"Applicable actions can include, for example, the provision of training to, the mentoring of, or the re-assignment of currently employed persons or the hiring or contracting of competent persons."

What exactly does this mean? It sounds like legalese amounting a whole lot of nothing.

Attached File(s): 1. Scan for viruses before using. 2. Report any 'bad' files by reporting this post. 3. Use at your own Risk.:

2. Miner

Miner Moderator Staff Member

This note applies to 7.1.c which addresses the need to acquire competency where there is an identified lack. This note just provides a list of alternatives on how you might acquire competency.

John C. Abnet likes this.
  3. John C. Abnet

John C. Abnet Well-Known Member

Good day @claudiogut ;
    @Miner describes it well.

I would also add the following...
    1- Competence (as defined by ISO 9000:2015) is "ability to apply knowledge and skills to achieve intended results"
    2- 'NOTES' within the ISO family of standards are not auditable to (i.e. your organization can not be held accountable to a 'NOTE')

Hope this helps.

Be well.

4. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

If you know nothing about how people become skilled in doing work, then yes, it might. However, if you ask a person who knows how individuals learn (as adults) and then, apply that learning, the statement makes complete sense.

Can I ask why a discussion about competence was occurring during a stage 1 audit?

5. claudiogut

claudiogut Member

It kind of happened informally when the auditor was wrapping up. My colleagues in the room were engaged on that topic and we were discussing it yesterday.

6. Golfman25

Golfman25 Well-Known Member

As Miner and John have pointed out, no "interpretation" of that note is required as it's not auditable. Just make sure your people are competent which is generally done by a review of skills and abilities compared to the job requirements. Fix any gaps, which the note give examples of "fixes." Good luck with stage 2.

John C. Abnet likes this.
  7. claudiogut

claudiogut Member

We have records of training and quizes to prove competency. I'm pretty sure those are enough to cover this, right?

8. Miner

Miner Moderator Staff Member

Was objective evidence cited that there was a lack of competency identified? Or is this a hypothetical question?

Andy Nichols likes this.
  9. Andy Nichols

The auditor brought it up? It shouldn’t be a topic of any kind of discussion at a Stage 1.

10. Golfman25

In terms of the actual audit, sure. But I have had auditors point out points of emphasis and things they are seeing in the field to make sure we have them addressed. I appreciate the heads up.

11. Golfman25

Sure., better yet any reviews would be helpful.

12. Andy Nichols

It’s not their job!

13. Andy Nichols

Training and quizzes are unlikely to be sufficient, without the key part - demonstration. Competency is demonstrated.

MonsterEnergy22 likes this.
  14. Golfman25

It's not their job to say, "hey make sure you have this covered as I am seeing a lot of issues at other clients?" I guess, but as I said, I appreciate the heads up. I can choose to take a look or ignore it.

15. John C. Abnet

John C. Abnet Well-Known Member

As @Andy Nichols and @Golfman25 have eluded to....'competency' is an output/demonstrated, whereas training is an input.

Depending on how they function, the result of competency quizzes can indeed demonstrate competency. Keep in mind, there also may be existing (day to day) ways of demonstrating as well...
    e.g...
    Consider a driver's license. We are trained, take a test, and are awarded a 'certificate' (license). However, if you've done any driving lately, you may have noticed that not all license holders are competent ;)
    So, what are the potential existing metrics that demonstrate a driver's competence?...
    - Insurance records
    - Police records
    - etc...
    The parallels in some organizations?
    - First time throughput.
    - Rate
    ...etc....

Food for thought.
    Hope this helps.

Be well.

Andy Nichols likes this.
  16. Andy Nichols

Definitely not! Apart from anything, it's a matter of confidentiality what other clients are experiencing. Secondly, you don't hire them as consultants, since they are enjoined from doing that. Thirdly, what qualifies the auditor to make such comments? Did you check their credentials? Do they have, for example, any experience of andragogy, adult training and education? Can they describe the 4 phases of adult learning? Describe Kirkpatrick's Learning Model or even Bloom's Taxonomy?

17. Andy Nichols

As a motorcyclist, we know only too well that "cagers" are "unconsciously incompetent". They don't know what they don't know...

18. Golfman25

That is a silly, way over the top response. Talking about the particular standard and what's going on "out there in auditor land" is completely normal activity. It's not consulting. It doesn't breach confidentiality. They don't need any more credentials that what they have for auditing. They need not know anything about adult learning. It's just talking with people familiar with the standard. Nothing more, nothing less.

19. Andy Nichols

Actually, that's not for any one person to call.
    Apparently they do. IATF specifically calls out Core Tools, for example. You also overlook that when you ask questions regarding IMPLEMENTATION that's NOT the same as AUDITING. Many auditors have less experience than yours and in maybe the same number of organizations.
    Almost weekly, I experience the unfortunate and multiple experiences of clients with a variety of CABs and their auditors. The population is far higher than the couple of days most clients go through a year to maintain their certificate.
    I've never seen a profession where any client uses "off hand" comments from someone who wasn't very selectively chosen specifically for the task, before deciding to implement anything affecting business performance - unless they want to throw money away...

20. Golfman25

Again, kind of over the top response.

Just look at the poster's case. A "comment" was made regarding competency. Their team looks at it and has a discussion. He comes here to get some input. He goes back to his org. and determines whether or not they have competency adequately addressed or whether they need improve it. Because of all that, it likely won't be an issue at audit time. There was absolutely zero harm with the comments by the auditor. And thinking, "it's not his job" so we aren't looking at it, may just lead them to a unneeded NC.