1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

Comparison Between Z540.3 and Mil-STD-45662

Discussion in 'ISO 17025 - Calibration and Test Laboratories' started by omengramirez, Mar 28, 2016.

1. omengramirez

omengramirez Member

To the Admin,

Thank you very much for putting this online forum, ever since Elsmar closed it was very difficult to look for information and guidance related to quality.

Now for my questions. Can somebody help me about the differences between the Z540.3 and MIL-STD- 45662. Also are commercial calibration compliant to Z540.3 standard. Finally what documentations/ information should customer's expect from calibration providers if you requested a Z540.3 compliant calibration. Thanks

Omeng

2. equilibrium

equilibrium Member

MIL-STD-45662 is much older, having been around in some form since the 1960's (and probably earlier) and far more basic in its requirements. Z540.3 is much more detailed and technical, including such concepts as PFA (probability of false accept), TUR (test uncertainty ratios), and guard banding. It also goes into some detail about what elements a calibration system should have. General requirements are now found in ISO 17025.

Generally, when someone says "commercial calibration" they mean something very basic. If you need a Z540.3 compliant calibration, commercial generally isn't going to suffice.

This might explain z540.3 compliance better than I can. I am not affiliated in any way with this company.

http://www.keysight.com/upload/cmc_upload/All/13Feb13_Z540_3Webcast.pdf?&cc=US&lc=eng

A Z540.3 compliant calibration must call out a specific calibration procedure, which has to be suitable as defined by the specification. You would need an uncertainty listed, as well as reference to the standards used for traceability. If you needed to do a point-by-point analysis of everything required, you'd really need to purchase your own copy of the standard.

Hopefully this was somewhat helpful.

omengramirez likes this.
  3. omengramirez

omengramirez Member

Thanks Equilibrium for the response! What if the calibration certificate provided by the vendor (for commercial cal service) is compliant to the minimum requirements of Z540.3, does it the mean commercial calibration service is also compliant to the Z540.3 requirements even if it doesn't have data?

Thanks

4. equilibrium

equilibrium Member

If you don't have a listed uncertainty, reference to a specific calibration procedure used, and a listing of the standards used to perform the test, I don't believe the cert is Z540.3 compliant, even if the cert contains such a compliance statement. This may be only my interpretation, but I'd want to see all three of those. Again, commercial calibration is usually a lower cost alternative, but generally not suitable for someone required to comply with Z540.3. There may be some instances when all of this information may not be available, but if you need it I would definitely contact the calibration vendor and let them know.

omengramirez likes this.
  5. omengramirez

omengramirez Member

Thanks a lot!:)