1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

Calibration Certificate - Missing Accreditation Mark

Discussion in 'ISO 9001:2015 - Quality Management Systems' started by 7mmdmo7, Apr 2, 2024.

1. 7mmdmo7

7mmdmo7 New Member

We recently encountered a Non-Conformance Report (NCR) concerning equipment calibration. The calibration certificate provided by the laboratory did not include an accreditation mark.

NB/ In other calibration certificat, this lab include the accreditation mark!

A colleague suggested that if the accreditation mark is absent, we should request traceability documentation from this lab. This documentation would demonstrate the lab's calibration are traceable to national or international measurement standards.
    My question: Is requesting traceability documentation the appropriate approach in this situation?

2. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

Welcome! Interesting question!

Can the lab simply replace the certificate with one which bears their accreditation?

3. BradM

BradM Moderator Staff Member

Sorry for the dumb question on this…

Are you certain the lab is accredited?

4. 7mmdmo7

7mmdmo7 New Member

Accreditation body will to allow this on the base that this kind of calibration is not covered by the domain of accreditation

5. 7mmdmo7

7mmdmo7 New Member

Yes, I check the website

6. Andy Nichols

If the (accredited) lab did work for which they don't hold accreditation, I believe they are required to inform your organization.

7. BradM

Like Andy said they should have notified you prior to the calibration that the calibration wasn’t accredited.

I would ask them if they have a calibration source that is accredited they could outsource the work.

Andy Nichols likes this.
  8. S1D3K1CK

S1D3K1CK Active Member

When you requested calibration services, did you request accredited calibration on your items to be calibrated or just standard calibration? If they list the items in their scope and state the lab is accredited, you are still required to verify their services are as they say they are and also request accredited calibration during the quote process. I learned the hard way!

BradM and Andy Nichols like this.
  9. BradM

Yea!! I learned that the hard way also. Many of the labs charge a lot more for the accreditation calibration; so for many it's a business move. If you're in a business that just wants a sticker and a piece of paper (hopefully we all know what I'm talking about....) you get the vanilla one. If you really want a decent document with accredited work, you pay a little more.

Thanks for checking back in by the way.

S1D3K1CK likes this.
  10. Andy Nichols

Of course, many don't know how to use a "proper" calibration result! All they know is "ISO-Says-So" and think equipment needs calibration, they didn't want to do it, but "ISO-Says-So". They don't want to pay for certification and certainly not for some poxy certificate, "just get the cheap one"...:D

BradM likes this.