1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

Work instructions instead of Processes

Discussion in 'ISO 9001:2015 - Quality Management Systems' started by Søren, Mar 14, 2018.

1. Søren

Søren New Member

Hi Quality Forum,

I hope you can help me. We already have Work instructions in our Company and would like to know if we could use these to get certified? Or is there a requirement for it to be Processes?

Best Regards Søren

2. Golfman25

Golfman25 Well-Known Member

Work instructions help define the processes. But you do have processes, say purchasing is a common one. It may be made up of several work instructions. Some processes may have to be documented. How you document them is up to you.

Søren likes this.
  3. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

Do you already have processes defined and documented in your QMS? Not everything IS a process and sometimes process need extra levels of detail to carry them out. Your question is best answered with another question: Does YOUR organization need Processes and WI to be effective?

QC Dave likes this.
  4. Qualmx

Qualmx Well-Known Member

Take a look to the standard, this version requires less documented information compared with the 2008 version.
    Dont worry too much regarding if it is a Procedure or work instruction.

Where is required by the standard to have something documented, it doesnt require any type of document (e.g. procedure, format, Work instruction,etc.), just to be documented.

Søren likes this.
  5. Søren

Søren New Member

Can you explain me what exactly a QMS should look like, i am having a bit trouble understanding the idea? I have read the ISO 9001:2015 a couple of times but can not quite grasp the idea of it.

Thanks in advance!

6. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

A quality management system is a collection of interacting processes (which are generally in place in your organization) which convert your customers' requirements into a deliverable product (or service). These processes must be controlled and provided with whatever resources are needed to get them done correctly and on time. ISO 9001:2015 requires a few other things which any organizations don't do (well, or at all) to ensure the quality system is managed effectively, such as internal audits, management review etc.

If you are familiar with McDonalds fast food restaurants, that's a good example of an effective Quality Management System in operation.

7. NattyG

NattyG Member

I'm still learning myself, the QMS system is made to suit the company, not the company suit the QMS. In that respect, you can build your system as you see fit.

Start by identifying key processes- gather what evidence in work instructions you already have and identify any gaps. Fill the gaps with guidance notes or processes.

I'm finding the QMS works best when you do a logic check and go through it systematically- just my experience so far.

jaltangerel likes this.