1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

Required to save on software?

Discussion in 'IATF 16949:2016 - Automotive Quality Systems' started by Lore7, Nov 30, 2023.

1. Lore7

Lore7 New Member

I started a new job as a Quality Manager. We are not IATF certified but we do produce some automotive parts. I was told we have to use Aqua software to save control plans. Supposedly, automotive required control plan to be saved on a secure software program? I never heard of this and I previously worked at a larger plant and that was never a requirement. I’m not a fan of the software. Is this an actual requirement from automotive or were we misinformed?

2. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

Welcome!
    I guess it depends who told you… There’s nothing about any such thing in IATF 16949. The might be something in a customer-specific requirement, however.

3. Lore7

Lore7 New Member

Thank you! The President of my company told me. Maybe I should reach out to the customer and ask them. I’ve been trying to make things easier and this would also save money for our company.

4. John C. Abnet

John C. Abnet Well-Known Member

The only requirement for any such use of software is per certain CSR,s ...as @Andy Nichols mentioned.
    (e.g. Ford=
    FMEA Software
    Suppliers shall use FMEA software which ensures the alignment of the Foundation FMEA, Part
    FMEA, control plan and other applicable documents.

I have used the AIAG available "CTS" (Core Tools Software), which seems to do a pretty good job. (there are other's available).

In regard to using what your organization's President suggested....I have no familiarity with "Aqua" (no opinion good nor bad).

I would caution, however, that before purchasing and committing to ANY software...
    - identify what the current gaps are (i.e. why a software may be needed)
    - become educated on multiple software approaches so YOU can properly counsel your President (doubtful that he/she knows beyond what they 've been told/heard???)
    - Identify /map how your organization WANTS (needs) the software to work and then have the sales pitches demonstrate HOW the software you are investigating meets YOUR organization's needs (i.e. dont BE told what the software will do...until your organization defines WHAT it needs to do).

Hope this helps.
    Be well.

andic likes this.
  5. Lore7

Lore7 New Member

Thank you! That was very helpful because it just so happens to be Ford that is requiring the use of the software. We already have Aqua and they are supposed to be using it. Most of the PPAP information was never put on there. Somehow everything was approved. I will look into the other software. I’m trying to fix our processes and make life easier. Thank you so much!

John C. Abnet and Andy Nichols like this.