1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

Question on need for Lead Auditor Training

Discussion in 'ISO 9001:2008 - Quality Management Systems' started by Nmark78, Dec 15, 2015.

1. Nmark78

Nmark78 New Member

Good Afternoon,

I'm hoping someone can clarify the need for lead auditor training. I manage an ISO 9001:2008 and AS 9100 quality system and am responsible for internal audits. I have had internal auditor training but not lead auditor training. Hopefully someone can answer the questions below for me.

1. Am I required to have Lead auditor training to train (not certify) new internal auditors?
    2. What is the benefit to receiving lead auditor training if I am already acting at the lead auditor during internal audits?

I'm struggling with finding the benefit of the high cost of training as well as the 4-5 days of work I would be missing.

Thank you for any feedback.

2. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

No, unless someone wrote it in to your QMS. There's little benefit, since the focus/story of a LA class is external auditing. Sure, it's a fun class, but 80% has been covered...trust me, I wrote/taught such classes for 16 years...

3. Qualmx

Qualmx Well-Known Member

I have been trained in internal and lead and noticed than in Lead are offered additional tips for audits , and material is covered slightly deeper than in the internal, but really the content is about the same.

On the other hand, some customers take into consideration as a good practice when suppliers are concerned in quality and have trained people in audits (lead auditors).

Another point, is worth the cost if you want to develop career as an auditor, add value to your CV.

Regards