1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

Prototype Documents Controlled?

Discussion in 'ISO 9001:2015 - Quality Management Systems' started by John Michael Kane, Mar 4, 2019.

1. John Michael Kane

John Michael Kane Member

I had a question from someone about when we need to start controlling documents. For example if you're writing a document that has a new idea for a prototype, and you want other team members to be able to view and collaborate on the document, do you put the document in a controlled environment and approve/release it? Or if not, at what point do you release a document and therefore make it controlled?

2. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

Hi John. Depends on what you mean by "controlled", really. Some folks make a big song and dance about some simple concepts, most of which are really easy to understand and implement.

3. John Michael Kane

John Michael Kane Member

Do
    I mean "Controlled" based on ISO-9001:2015. If I have a prototype document and I post it in a shared folder for discussion before I formally approve and release it as an engineering document to be used for the creation of a product, is that acceptable? Or do I need it approved and released as Revision A before I start sharing it?

4. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

ISO 9001 doesn't say "how", that's why I posted my comment, John. Does your organization have a procedure/process for document control? My (previous) comment is made based on the experience of many making documentation a bigger deal that it actually needs to be. For example: a 12 -digit numbering system. Hence me asking what "control" means.

To answer the example, as long as you all understand that the document posted is for review/comment, before formally being issued, that's fine - ISO 9001 doesn't care. It's normal to create and document as a "Draft For Comment" (if in MS Word you could use the watermark for this purpose) and gather input before finally releasing it as "approved".

tony s and John Michael Kane like this.