1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

PPAP requirements from suppliers

Discussion in 'IATF 16949:2016 - Automotive Quality Systems' started by S1D3K1CK, Dec 22, 2022.

1. S1D3K1CK

S1D3K1CK Active Member

I was recently "voluntold" that in IATF there is a requirement that states, all suppliers shall request PPAP's for all "purchased" processes, Included but not limited to, hardware, purchased components (items or subcomponents to be completed as an assembly), raw material from vendors, basically any process or components used or designed for completing product delivered to the automotive customer(s). If this statement is true, what section in the ISO or IATF standard can this be found? and how should this be approached? Thank you all in advance.

2. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

Do you have access to a copy of either standard? ISO 9001 certainly doesn’t state anything of the kind. I’m guessing neither does IATF. But in IATF it will require the flow down of CSRs so it might be inferred. Who told you?

3. Jennifer Kirley

Jennifer Kirley Moderator Staff Member

I don't have a copy of the IATF standard in front of me, but I can offer that group will extend an expectation for PPAP for critical parts at least. If the requirement is not in the standard itself, look in the Rules and/or your customer requirements.

It makes no sense to run a PPAP for every nut and bolt. Criticality is established in Design, but I have noticed the engineers can sometimes get it wrong. You would have to deal with that separately.

4. John C. Abnet

John C. Abnet Well-Known Member

Goodday @S1D3K1CK
    The short answer is "no". Fortunately (unfortunately ;), I do have 16949:2016 in front of me. There is no reference to PPAP and certainly no specific stipulations you refer to. As @Andy Nichols stated, you must be aware of CSR that may specify such detail, but none that I am aware of.

Yes, I would also like to know from whom/what/where you received this information?

Please ensure you have and understand the standard. Likely relevant sections are as follows...
    8.4.2.3 (considerable SI apply to this clause, so please obtain and understand those as well [SI = sanctioned interpretations] ).

Hope this helps.
    Be well.

Andy Nichols likes this.
  5. S1D3K1CK

S1D3K1CK Active Member

Thank you all for the input! And none of our customers have CSR's that require this (Or any that we are aware of). I will review these and the standards this week. I was unable to last week because I was away from the office, but I was working with our consultant that helps us prepare for our IATF audits. She stated she has seen this before and has worked with another company that have been hit with a major from this and had trouble closing it. I am almost 100% positive that this is a CSR from their customer that was overlooked or disregarded by the supplier.

6. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

The consultant should also know that such audit “results” are also somewhat dependent on the auditor, what they had for breakfast and sundry other bizarre criteria. Unless you can find a) a requirement and b) have the same auditor, no need to be concerned.

S1D3K1CK and RonR Quality Pro like this.
  7. russell nugent

russell nugent Active Member

Sounds strange , from personal experience we use PPAP for bought in components with dimensions or special properties but raw materials we refer to a COC/COA.