1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

Outsourcing Processes

Discussion in 'ISO 9001:2015 - Quality Management Systems' started by Emyee, Dec 20, 2017.

1. Emyee

Emyee New Member

Hey all ,

I am working for a ocmpany that would like to go for a ISO certification( integrated management system)

However , I am trying to define the scope as per the context and hesitating on some aspects and would like your advice

Here the context :

The company ( Build Operates Transfer ) BOT – it will be construction and O& M of a water treatment plant .

The works would be to build the plant and then once build we will operate and maintain it for X years .

However all the construction , design part fabrication ect ….. would be externalised to another company - we will only start operate and maintaining this once finish .

Therefore , design , construction ect … will be outsourcing processes – I do agree that we have to monitor and control those process –

However to define the scope I am lost should I have to include design construction + Operation and maintenance on the scope ? as we are supposed to be a BOT – even if we subcontract / outsource the build part including design ect …. Or should only have to define as Operation and Maintenance .

MOroever , shold I have to define and develop clear design / construction ecct … processes and including it in the business maP or should just I have to define the means of control for that and only defining processes related to Operation and maintenance ?

Really appreciate if I can have your point of view on that .

Thanks in advance

Emy

2. The PPAP Assassin

The PPAP Assassin Active Member

Scope should include only what the output is of your company and processes.

Design ,Construction ect.. should be excluded from the scope and mentioned as such

The scope needs to be maintained as documented information, so keep that in mind when you have completed it.

Can you explain further on, "start, operate and maintaining"?

3. Emyee

Emyee New Member

Well the company is defined as BOT - Build Operate and Transfert - so we build the plant - we operate and maintain the plant once built and we trasnfert the water -

The build part is outsourced - the Op and maintainance is done by us -

so the client is expecting from us to build the plant and operate and maitaint it -

4. The PPAP Assassin

There is your scope in that last sentence :)

Just make it sound a little more "official".

Also make it documented information. Or add it to an existing procedure or quality manual.

5. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

But since you don't build anything you can't have that in your scope. I'd suggest that your scope should read "The management of construction, operation and maintenance of water treatment plant". You cannot claim something in your scope which others do. It sounds like you manage the construction only.

The PPAP Assassin and tony s like this.
  6. The PPAP Assassin

Andy nailed it.. You don't do the building, so that should not be in your scope. But you do manage the construction, operation and maintenance.
    You should also list everything you are excluded from as well. For example "design" and "building".