1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

NTF / FFA training

Discussion in 'IATF 16949:2016 - Automotive Quality Systems' started by russell nugent, Oct 11, 2022.

1. russell nugent

russell nugent Active Member

Recently we have been requested to include NTF ( no trouble found or FFA field failure analysis ) into our NPI stage for component introduction . Looking for advice on where this would fit into NPI and possible training courses . NTF preferably.

2. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

Russell, you're unlikely to find training on such an issue, IMHO. Without knowing your actual NPI process, it's difficult to know, but if you take a look at the APQP model it can help (I suspect that your NPI follows APQP to some extent). Obviously the earlier phases are a good time to be looking at NTF issues and also in your FMEA.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2022
  3. Miner

Miner Moderator Staff Member

The most obvious areas would be to use this information as input to your Design and Process FMEAs, which would then provide input to your design verification/validation test plans and Control Plans.

BTW, I don't know how complex your product may be, but my experience with NPFs of relatively complex products was that there really was a problem, but we did not initially find it because of the following reasons:
    • The problem was intermittent and had to be tested over long periods of time in order to identify it
    • The problem only appeared under specific conditions that were seen at the customers location and must be duplicated in order to see it
    • The problem self corrected under the shock and vibration of transportation back to us (e.g. an electrical short breaks open under shock)
    One product line that I supported had an NPF rate of 40% until I changed the testing protocols. Then it dropped to 0%.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2022
    Bev D and Andy Nichols like this.