1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

Looking for ASTM specs in pdf form

Discussion in 'Coffee Break and Community Discussion Forum' started by bearfan454, May 6, 2016.

1. bearfan454

bearfan454 Member

Does anyone know where I would be able to find these? Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. Miner

Miner Moderator Staff Member

3. bearfan454

bearfan454 Member

Thank you Miner. Know where any free ones are maybe?

4. Miner

Miner Moderator Staff Member

These would be copyrighted documents.

5. bearfan454

bearfan454 Member

Oh okay then. I found some others I needed through Google. I was able to download them and open them up and print the pdf's. All of these others I found on Google but they want you to pay for them. Wishful thinking I guess. Thanks anyways.

6. Ronen E

Ronen E Well-Known Member

The people who uploaded the ones you found have breached the copyrights.

7. bearfan454

bearfan454 Member

8. ncwalker

ncwalker Well-Known Member

Free versions are available everywhere. But consider ... there is a cost associated with generating these, beyond some author's time like for a work of fiction. There's testing, travel, meetings with interested parties. And these authors typically have real jobs. These standards organizations are additional duties to many of them that they participate in largely out of a love for the respective art.

Free copies is disrespectful to that art and that love. And removes possible funding to the organizations. You get what you pay for. Pirated standards will result in a decline in both the accuracy and abundance of the information they contain. And this information makes our lives easier - otherwise we would all be duplicating this work in our own organizations internally.

Truth be told, it is a sad statement that they even require copyright laws. They are a tool, as much as CAD package or a solid carbide cutter. Because they can be scanned and posted on the internet doesn't make them any less so. And that should be recognized.

Ronen E likes this.
  9. DavidD

DavidD Member

The comments above on appropriately protecting copyrighted specifications are right on. That being said, if you are looking of US government specs and standards (Federal, Military, etc) you're better off getting them from the source where they will be the most up to date.

http://quicksearch.dla.mil

Since many ASTM, SAE, etc specs are just ones adopted from the US government after it decided not to maintain them, many now just have a cover page put on front of what was previously freely distributed.

David

Ronen E likes this.