1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

Location, location, location!

Discussion in 'Manufacturing and Related Processes' started by S1D3K1CK, Jul 24, 2020.

1. S1D3K1CK

S1D3K1CK Active Member

Hello, We produce parts in the trucking industry and one of our products are the sidestep to get into the cab. This is a tooled part (blank die) and with this process it leaves a burr. The process we use is deburring with 120 grit sand paper on a belt sander. Now because this is a part that is visible to the end customer, we cannot put the part through our edging machine to remove the burrs. The problem is where they have this station set up it is spreading aluminum dust all over our shop and inside some of the machines. What are some suggestions that we can look into to have this segregated to an area that it will not spread dust to the machines.

P.S. I understand nobody can physically see where we have the station or our facility layout. Just trying to get ideas on other points of view. Thanks.

2. Golfman25

Golfman25 Well-Known Member

Enclose it somehow and use a dust collection system. We have a separate grinding room to keep dust contained. Each grinder connected to our Torit system. Could you add water to the process to help keep the dust down?

Mike S. likes this.
  3. S1D3K1CK

S1D3K1CK Active Member

No, water cannot be added due to each part is deburred by hand. I had suggested before for them to close this station off but had no luck. Since I am doing 5S though, this might help in convincing them to build a small area designated to this process, since the dust is affecting the performance of the surrounding machinery (only proving to Top management after doing 5S and documenting before/after photos the effects it has on machinery).

4. _Zeno_

_Zeno_ Member

Have you tried aluminum magnets?

S1D3K1CK likes this.
  5. S1D3K1CK

S1D3K1CK Active Member

No, I haven't looked into those. I am not sure if they will work for this station but I will definitely research this.

6. Mike S.

Mike S. Member

Maybe deburr with a pneumatic grinder instead of a belt sander, and use water mist.

7. Mike S.

Mike S. Member

At first I thought this was a joke. I had never heard of such a thing. Learned something new today.

8. _Zeno_

_Zeno_ Member

It was meant as a joke. If it's real, it's news to me too.

9. S1D3K1CK

S1D3K1CK Active Member

Yea I realized that afterwards. It's like hunting for blinker fluid.

10. Mike S.

Mike S. Member