1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

Let's discuss - Kelloggs

Discussion in 'Manufacturing and Related Processes' started by Candi1024, Mar 15, 2016.

1. Candi1024

Candi1024 Well-Known Member

This would probably best belong in a food safety forum. If one exists I couldn't find it.

Has everyone heard the recent news about a video released that may have been filmed at a kelloggs production plant? In case you haven't, here is a link to the story.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/03/13/us/kellogg-worker-urinate-video/index.html

I'm glad I'm not working in food safety at Kellogg's right now!

How do you think Kellogg's will prevent this from happening again? How do you think current food and safety regulations will change in light of this?

Have YOU eaten any rice crispy treats or pop tarts in the past couple years? lol

2. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

Hi Candi:
    I'm not sure you CAN stop this type of thing happening. A friend of mine worked in an ice cream factory and they used to mess with the fillings of the various products - on the night shift. Of course, this was partly because they were "young adults. Apart from completely covering the line and keeping people away, it could happen again. I remember a sign on the plant manager's wall, I once saw: "The factory of the future will be run by a man and a dog - the dog is there to keep the man away from the process"...

3. hogheavenfarm

hogheavenfarm Well-Known Member

This is a case of "Root Cause can be the Person"....

Roberticus and Candi1024 like this.
  4. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

Or maybe their supervision?

5. hogheavenfarm

hogheavenfarm Well-Known Member

I once saw root cause as a whole department....:)

6. Jennifer Kirley

Jennifer Kirley Moderator Staff Member

Having worked in a catering business some years ago I can offer that most of us would rather not know what can, and sometimes does go on in the food preparation industry.

7. Jennifer Kirley

While that can be true, I have my HR hat on and wonder:

Where is the supervision?
    In what work environment does an employee find it worthwhile to foul the product?
    What sort of leadership has promoted an atmosphere where this is possible, allowed or considered to be a good idea?
    Or, if it is an individual simply making a choice, how has a person of this character made it through to the employment process to the point of committing sabotage?

Roberticus and Andy Nichols like this.
  8. Candi1024

Candi1024 Well-Known Member

It was stated that may have been shot during a labor dispute between Kellogg's and employees who were locked out.

Does that help answer your wonderings at all?

9. MarkMeer

MarkMeer Well-Known Member

I'm always thrilled when a thread title starts with "let's discuss..." (discussion/conversation/debate are my "click-bait" terms!) :);)

Has there been a call for regulatory action or increased industry scrutiny? I sure hope not!

This is one of those cases of a single person, on a single production line, for a single company doing something stupid. I'm sure it happens all the time - it just (fortunately) doesn't get recorded and uploaded to the internet very often!

If these kinds of incidents lead to a precedent for tightening regulations on the entire industry, then I fear industry may be doomed to a slow, suffocating death at the hands of continually tightening regulatory burdens...

10. Jennifer Kirley

It helps a little - would an employee do that if he wasn't locked out - some were, some weren't? Because if he was locked out, how was he in there?

I am reminded of: Please Don't Feed the Hog.