1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

Lean guides / handbooks

Discussion in 'Lean, Six Sigma and DFSS' started by S1D3K1CK, Aug 12, 2020.

1. S1D3K1CK

S1D3K1CK Active Member

I recently went through lean manufacturing "training" and due to COVID-19, the "training" was interrupted and then went remotely. I have a good idea on the basics, but as my company's Lean Facilitator I feel like I am nowhere near trained to lead projects correctly. Plus it's kinda hard to do a project while being trained remotely. I have just gained the title of Quality Manager also so it's difficult to retain all the Lean knowledge as well and maintaining the responsibilities of a QM. I was wondering, are there any helpful guidelines or any books on getting back on track? I really need to help in getting the company to a healthy start for the new ownership next year.

2. Miner

Miner Moderator Staff Member

My company has been involved with Lean for 20 years. We made a lot of mistakes along the way and are finally starting to get it right. The biggest mistake is thinking Lean is all about kaizens, waste reduction and value stream maps. Lean is all about changing the company culture, particularly the management mindset. The tools help, but cannot make headway against the wrong culture. That's why Toyota was so willing to let their competitors come into their factories. They knew they would only see the tools and not understand the importance of the culture.

For the culture aspect, I recommend the Shingo Model. It helps to place the tools portion in context. Tools are the How, but the culture provides the Why.
    Next, check out resources on Lean Accounting. Traditional accounting systems will always make any lean activity look financially bad.

When you are ready for the tools, try the Lean Enterprise Institute.

Bev D and S1D3K1CK like this.