1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

ISO45001 Section 5.2, The specific nature of OH&S risks and opportunities

Discussion in 'OHSAS - Occupational Health and Safety' started by Mina M, Jun 28, 2019.

1. Mina M

Mina M Member

Hello.

I am working as an in-house translater of an certification body (not English native), and my auditors are struggling to figure out what is the specifc nature of OH&S stated in Section 5.2, as we don't have the exact translation for the term "Nature" in our langugage.

How do you generally define this term for OH&S? Is this sugessting the type of OH&S risks and opportunities? What are the examples of the specific nature in this case?

We really accoreciate any advice of you!!!!!! Thank you!

2. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

3. tony s

tony s Well-Known Member

Yes you're right in your interpretation/translation. The nature of OH&S risks and OH&S opportunities could vary depending on the nature of the organization. For examples:
    • an airline company must ensure that risks/opportunities related to aviation, air traffic, airport activities, runway activities, hangar operations, etc. are addressed;
    • a hospital must ensure that risks/opportunities related to contagious diseases, medical wastes, outbreak, use of medical equipment, etc. are addressed;
    • a manufacturing organization must ensure that risks/opportunities related to handling of raw materials, operation of manufacturing equipment, etc are addressed;
    • a logistics/transport company must ensure that risks/opportunities related to loading/unloading of cargo, transportation, etc. are addressed.

4. Mina M

Mina M Member

Thank you very much tony s!! It really helps us to figure out.
    We had two possible terms in our language to the "Nature," and depends on which one to chose, we might mistakenly raise a nonconformity to the innocent client. Not always, but sometimes, the simpliest word in the requirements is the most difficult term for us to understand or interprete. And slight misunderstanding of auditors causes a big trouble in the audit.

Thank you again tony s, please have a good week!

5. Mina M

Mina M Member

Thank you for your suggestion. I really appreciate that. But my posting was my last resort to ask for help after we tried all means to figure it out (but still the auditor couldnot grasp the picture.)

Thank you and please have a good week!

Andy Nichols likes this.
  6. Balaji Rajaraman

Balaji Rajaraman New Member

By the word "nature" the author means "type" or "category".