1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

Internal Audit

Discussion in 'ISO 9001:2008 - Quality Management Systems' started by Kunle Ogunola, Dec 15, 2015.

1. drgnrider

drgnrider Member

I have not seen a CB audit report where "scope of audit" is "Clause x.x". They reference the clause for their finding(s).

As an internal auditor, part of my audit planning includes:
    - reviewing Past audit report(s) and auditor notes, do I see anything I want, or need, to look at a little deeper,
    - has the audit coordinator or management requested that the team look at anything specific (i.e.: control of records)
    - looking at some of the related ISO clauses and decide which ones I want to key on,
    If I need to look at a specific topic, (i.e.: control of records), I then tailor my "starter" questions in an effort to guide my auditee(s) to direct me to where I want to go, but based on their answers.

During one of my audits, after talking to the department manger and a few employees, one mentioned a customer-delivered product they were working on that had no paperwork (sales order, receiver, etc.)... clause 7.5.4 Customer Property... my audit now turned away from the process and to the clause and where we failed.

Auditing a clause, IMHO, generally is only if you are having issues (repeated findings, obvious omission(s), etc.) with a given clause; otherwise audit the process is easier and less pre-planning. How you word your observations and audit evidence should be enough proof of your checking the ISO clauses.

Andy Nichols likes this.
  2. Jennifer Kirley

Jennifer Kirley Moderator Staff Member

I speak with both supervisor/managers and process people. Both have knowledge, but details can vary and it can be interesting to learn what may subtly differ between these operational and supervisory/management levels.

I absolutely take down all the names, as I will review their training as part of the sample.

It is also interesting to learn of some craftsmanship points that managers sometimes never hear about, but may be beneficial to add to procedure or may potentially introduce risk of nonconformity with product/service requirements. This includes "short cuts" but also some finesse that long periods of experience can help develop, and could be lost if that process-level individual disappears.

3. Jennifer Kirley

Jennifer Kirley Moderator Staff Member

The ISO system is often considered as a big assignment, whereas it is actually a set of good practices that we verify are in place and effectively functioning. The elements in the standards merely provide descriptive/prescriptive details. Top management might benefit from understanding this in the broad sense and not focus on a list of requirements, unless of course they have management systems training or experience.