1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

indicator Vs index Vs metrics Vs criteria

Discussion in 'ISO 9001:2015 - Quality Management Systems' started by Hanieh S. Malakooti, Jan 4, 2016.

1. Hanieh S. Malakooti

Hanieh S. Malakooti New Member

what is diffrences of indicator Vs index Vs metrics Vs criteria? :)

2. RoxaneB

RoxaneB Moderator Staff Member

Hello, Hanieh.

In what context are you using these terms? This answer may help gain additional responses but may also help us move this thread to a more appropriate section. At first glance, I don't think the ISO 9001 forum is the right 'home' for your question.

I haven't heard the term 'index' used before.

I do like to keep things simple - for that matter, in my world, 'indicator' and 'metric' mean the same thing.

'Criteria' could refer to the variables that are used to calculate the 'indicator'/'metric' - OR - again, in my world, 'criteria' refers process/activity requirements.

For example...the process of scheduling a visit for a patient.

Criteria :
    1. Verify patient information.
    2. Confirm patient agrees to date of next visit.
    3. Confirm patient agrees to scheduled nurse.

Indicator/Metric :
    % of visits scheduled with primary nurse
    % of missed visits

MCW8888 and Roberticus like this.
  3. Leonid

Leonid Well-Known Member

Process indicator: Example 1 - effectiveness, i.e. extent to which planned activities are realized and planned results are achieved. Example 2 – performance, i.e. measurable results
    Index: refer to process capability index in https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Process_capability_index
    Metric: A metric is that which determines an organization's activities, processes and performance. Example: Process effectiveness is 95%. Annual performance improvement is 5%
    Criteria: The monitoring and measuring criteria to ensure the effective operation and control of processes. Examples: • Conformity with requirements • Customer satisfaction • Supplier performance • On time delivery • Lead times • Failure rates • Waste http://www.iso.org/iso/ru/04_concept_and_use_of_the_process_approach_for_management_systems.pdf