1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

IMS Manual Format-Ideas needed

Discussion in 'ISO 9001:2015 - Quality Management Systems' started by marni, Feb 8, 2017.

1. marni

marni Member

Hi all
    I'm currently trying to write an integrated manual for 9001, 14001 and 18001.
    It's so confusing.
    I started it by simply following the standards top to bottom front to back in order.
    My boss wasn't keen on the format, he found it looked too iso rather than more for the company. I guess I'm so confused I don't even really know what to ask you all! Just some ideas if you have any from your experiences. Many thanks

2. RoxaneB

RoxaneB Moderator Staff Member

Hi, Marni.

I'm not sure what you mean by "top to bottom front to back in order", but I can share what I've done.

The foundation to my organization's BUSINESS management system was "Plan - Do - Check - Act". So, first off we identified the sections of the applicable standards that fell under Plan, Do, Check, and/or act and developed a matrix to support this 'translation'.

After that, the manual was developed with four key sections of Plan, Do, Check, Act. Subsections included the ISO headers such as Management Review, Objectives and Targets, Process Control, Auditing, Corrective Action, Continual Improvement and so on.

The corresponding "shall" statements - based on the matrix I mentioned early - were then added into the appropriate subsections, with duplicate "shall" statements removed.

Then the "shall" statements were 'softened' into the language of our company and the links to the appropriate supporting documents inserted.

I wish I could share the document, however, it does contain proprietary information. I will do my best to explain our actions in more detail should you have additional questions.

3. marni

marni Member

Thank you for responding RoxaneB
    I think the issue is the infancy of this document and the IMS in general.
    Maybe I should just look at it as a work in progress as there are numerous other documents still to be created for this company.
    Do you think the full policy should have been made first to aid creating this manual?

4. RoxaneB

RoxaneB Moderator Staff Member

Which policy?

If you're referring to a quality, environmental, health & safety policy (policies), the existence of such a document should have little impact on the creation of an integrated business management system manual. Create a matrix first to see how all the standards and their applicable sections overlap. There are similar clauses and requirements within the 3 standards.

1. Identify the overlap/alignment between the standards.
    2. Consider what your organization currently has in place to meet the requirements of the aligned standards.
    3. Write up those sections.
    4. Look at the gaps in meeting the aligned sections.
    5. Address those gaps.
    6. Start again at #2.

marni and David Sheaffe like this.
  5. marni

marni Member

Super thank you for your help