1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

How to decipher RPN in FMEA analysis?

Discussion in 'FMEA - Failure Modes and Effects Analysis' started by Ruslan, Apr 13, 2017.

1. Ruslan

Ruslan New Member

hello, everyone.

please, help me. how decipher abbreviation in FMEA analysis RPN?

2. tony s

tony s Well-Known Member

RPN (Risk Priority Number). It's the mathematical product of the seriousness of the effects of the failure (S - severity), the likelihood that a cause will create the failure (O - occurrence), and the ability to detect the failure (D - detection). In equation form, RPN = S x O x D.

Though RPN gives us a basis for determining what failures should be given priority for taking actions, it's just one of the criteria that we should use. To effectively use FMEA in implementing controls, development of actions should be first directed to those with critical classification, next with high severity rate, then those with high RPN.

3. ncwalker

ncwalker Well-Known Member

Tony S is exactly correct. But be advised - all my sources are telling me RPN is going to be done away with in the next release of the PFMEA Manual (5th Ed) in favor of something called the "Risk Limiting Method" where your result is an RPL.

You still determine Sev, Occ, Det the same, but the new method involves lookup tables and the RPL result is 1, 2, 3 with 1 being high priority for an action plan, 3 doesn't need one.

It's a better system, honsetly.

4. Bev D

Bev D Moderator Staff Member

I haven't seen this process yet, but anything that gets us away from the fake math of the RPN is a step in the right direction...

5. ncwalker

BAM !!

Attached File(s): 1. Scan for viruses before using. 2. Report any 'bad' files by reporting this post. 3. Use at your own Risk.:

Miner likes this.
  6. Bev D

Oh. sorry - this is really just more hokey-pokey math on top of hokey-pokey math. I get the sentiment, but why try to solve a problem with the sam etype of thinking that created the problem? this score mentality only encourages and enables lack of thinking.

charanjit singh likes this.
  7. _Zeno_

_Zeno_ Member

Agreed Bev. Adding more smoke in the air does little to clear things up. And you thought RPN was useless. Now they're raising the bar.

8. ncwalker

I think human nature is we don't want to think. Or only few of us do. So if we can take a thinking process and relegate to a sequence of steps that don't require thinking, everyone's all in. I agree with the sentiment that this isn't the end all/be all. But that said, it IS a step up from pure RPN and stuff like this ... isn't going away any time soon.

9. Bev D

it certainly won't if professionals who know better don't teach, demonstrate and provide alternative approaches that DO work.
    I sound like a broken record but I'll never stop opposing this kind of "stuff".

"If you ignore science, the empirical will strike back!"

10. ncwalker

My sign at the science march said "Let science teach you, or hard knocks will."

:)

Bev D likes this.