1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

hi there!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by S Russell, Oct 27, 2021.

1. S Russell

S Russell Member

Hello all!

A little about me:

I started as a machinist, but jumped to QC when an opportunity arose.
    I have quite a few years in as a Quality Technician, but after a 6 year hiatus I am back with a company that is ISO9001 and AS9100D (accredited?). I have never been a part of any of this, so I have some learning to do!
    Apparently, this is going to be "my department" as the company grows, so I'd better get versed in this stuff! I'm slowly working my way through the pages.

My first order of business on the paperwork end is to create SOPs for calibration. I also hope to streamline some of our measurement documentation, but I want to be sure not to go against the standards, so this may take some time!

I have been reading through some past threads and appreciate the pool of knowledge on this site. I may need to revive some if they pertain to any of my remedial questions. Hopefully I may have an answer or two to share as well.

Have a great day!
    Steph

RoxaneB and Atul Khandekar like this.
  2. John C. Abnet

John C. Abnet Well-Known Member

Good day @S Russell and welcome to the site. The first two steps of your career match mine exactly...(i.e. machinist- quality technician).

Be well.

3. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

Yes, welcome, Steph. I learned something about @John C. Abnet today, too!

ISO 9001 and AS9100D (Certified) gives a lot of flexibility on paperwork, so don't be too excited and create a monster which you'll ultimately end up feeding. Calibration is a "target-rich" environment, especially for external auditors who have less knowledge and experience than is needed on the topic. If I may offer some experience: Take a look at the total number of items of equipment in the system, and have a look at the current performance of the existing control system. Ask yourself, does all this actually need calibration? Do we get it done properly, on time? Do we know the condition of the equipment that actually needs calibration? Don't end up documenting a poorly performing control system. Find out what needs working on and then define the process that works.

4. S Russell

S Russell Member

That's exactly what I'm hoping for, Andy. I would like to be rid of the monster that was already created, but I have to be sure to adhere to these standards with which I'm not yet familiar with. What I have always known as "standard operation procedures" is to be called "work instructions". My concern is that tools (micrometers, calipers, etc) are being calibrated properly. The other person in this department knows nothing about calibration, and at a young 69 years, he is willing to learn. :)

5. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

Good to know

Don't overlook that verification is also an option. Rather than go the "whole hog" with calibration, you could go for the option of simple verifications at 0>25%>50%>75%>100% of full scale to give and indication using (lab) calibrated jo blocks (slip gauges). Keep records of that, ofc.

He's a spring chicken! I turned 68 today and I'm still learning - you'll both figure it out...