1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

Help with explaining the QMS to other peers

Discussion in 'ISO 9001:2015 - Quality Management Systems' started by Steph, Jul 18, 2016.

1. Steph

Steph New Member

We have produced a manual and set of procedures that comply with ISO 9001 2015. We have done this with guidance from a QA adviser. We now need the remaining employees to learn and implement this into our everyday work like. Does anyone know if there is a standard training session/powerpoint i can use to help me do this? thanks

2. ncwalker

ncwalker Well-Known Member

Odds are, someone on here can help. But your question is really vague. A standard powerpoint covering what, exactly?

3. Chris Glover

Chris Glover Active Member

My opinion...You may of set yourself up for failure in 2 ways (and they're related)
    1. By not having employee involvement there will be no sense of ownership of the system
    2. Your system may not reflect what your organization really does, by rather what the QA adviser (consultant?) thinks it should do.

Pondo, RoxaneB and Andy Nichols like this.
  4. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

Excellent points! I'm also of the opinion that this "QA Advisor" doesn't know their stuff and, in asking such a question, which they haven't prepared for you, you are headed in the WRONG direction...

5. RoxaneB

RoxaneB Moderator Staff Member

Too often we see organizations try to conform to the Standard instead of considering how the Standard can conform to what the organization already does. In that sense, there is no training (per se) required...you've simply documented what you do. This frees up the organization to look at the requirements not currently addressed within their activities and then develop (hopefully) value-added processes that involve the employees and won't be perceived as "make work" or "bureaucratic red tape".

As Chris has said, no employee involvement means no sense of ownership. This means you will have, at best, a piece of paper on the wall...and, at worst, a frustrated team with no sustainable system in place.

All that said, Steph, it sounds like your organization has gone down a road that many of us here have also travelled. You're in good company to hear our "lessons learned" and hopefully avoid the same pitfalls and challenges we've experienced.

Sonita and tony s like this.
  6. Steph

Steph New Member

Thanks everyone. Sorry i haven't explained myself properly.

Basically we have produced the QM and procedures with the help of a QA (supposedly) expert. It is very basic and to the point and really is a description of what we should actually be doing as a company at all times. I have given all the office staff a copy of the QM and procedures and just asked them to keep them on their desks and read/refer to them when necessary. The problem i am having is we have a lot of apprentices that are having trouble understanding them and i was looking for some kind of simple training session, I did ask our QA adviser and he said there's no reason why we couldn't do it in house, but, i am struggling.

The trouble is i have very little experience, apart from working in an environment that already has ISO. So i am struggling to get people on board and to understand it :/

Thanks for your help

7. RoxaneB

RoxaneB Moderator Staff Member

Are you looking more for a presentation on WHY you have a QMS? That's easy enough to fix...speak with your senior leader/leadership and ask them why your organization went this route. Or if you have a quality policy...that's your 'why'. And if the policy doesn't resonate with people, you possibly have a poorly developed statement.

If people are having difficulty in understanding WHAT has been documented, then this could be a competency issue or the way the documentation has been written. Written procedures can be complicated. This is why I prefer process maps. Visually "documenting" the flow and sequence of activities, along with who carries out the tasks can be easier to understand (and train on).

You said that your documentation is really what you should be doing. I'm going to ask the obvious here...are you doing it? Yes or no? If no...why not?

The idea of hard copies floating about is a whole separate issue and one that, if it has not already been discussed here in QFO, can be debated at length.

8. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

Unless I misunderstand, here's part of your problem. This isn't going to work...

As an ex-apprentice, my thought is "if I don't see my management/supervision using it, why would I?" It's THEIR job to help me understand.

I'd wager this is the root cause...

9. tony s

tony s Well-Known Member

Your problem would be easier to resolve if what you have documented is "what you are actually doing".

People are hired by an organization to perform assigned tasks and they should have the necessary competence to do such. You don't have to force workers, particularly the apprentices, to know what's in the QM and the procedures. What they need is to be well aware of their specific tasks.