1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

Full system audit preparation and narrative

Discussion in 'IATF 16949:2016 - Automotive Quality Systems' started by russell nugent, Dec 8, 2023.

1. russell nugent

russell nugent Active Member

Good morning all

Looking for some helpful guidance and advice as I am taking part in my first full systems audit (4day) early next year . Comfortable with this but for background see points below . Obviously internal audits and meeting preparation for audits are underway . But wondered if there is any other pointers in regards to audit flow and narrative .

- Lots of new business
    - Engineering team has been stripped back
    - As a result of this procedures and requirements may not have been followed 100%

2. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

Yes, Russell, an interesting time! I’m guessing you are thinking a Certification audit? Your best strategy is to have your process owners comfortable with taking the lead and explaining their process and how it’s implemented, measured, objectives etc. This provides most auditors with the demonstration that they QMS works and rarely raises opportunities for additional questions.
    Presumably your internal audits revealed issues and you can point to the actions being taken as a result. Your performance results and customer feedback will validate QMS performance.

3. yodon

yodon Well-Known Member

My knee-jerk reaction to your bullets is that there's a lack of management commitment. Are they aware that the procedures aren't being followed (and what the consequences are)?

After simmering down a bit, I thought maybe that the quality system itself might be ineffective: overly bureaucratic, forcing unnecessary actions, etc.

As @Andy Nichols points out, your internal audit data, customer feedback, etc. should help you / your management team to chart the appropriate course.

Andy Nichols likes this.
  4. russell nugent

Thanks for the feedback guys , yes KPIs and internal audits are showing up weak points also new management team seem less focused on requirements and dont have robust IATF knowledge . There also seems to be a focus on what are you doing to prepare for the audit rather than the full team .

5. Golfman25

Golfman25 Well-Known Member

What do you mean procedures and requirements may not have been followed 100%? How does you company survive then? :)

Any examples. And if they aren't followed 100%, then how important are they? Lots of things become excess fluff -- try to strip all of that out.

6. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

What does this mean, Russ? I coach "Process Owners" to know the following:

The requirements (customer, company, IATF, regs)
    The Process (from input to output and also the controls & resources)
    The results - from the objective and measurement
    The actions needed based on the results.

7. russell nugent

Again , thanks for the feedback and reply's .
    TBH - its peoples work load that has been effecting what you have mentioned Andy , as specially the results and actions . Not sure how certification team will react to this , we are obviously trying to build up team but they wont be in place for the audit . Again the word requirements sticking out for me .