1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

Forging World

Discussion in 'Manufacturing and Related Processes' started by Jason Lawrence, Apr 24, 2024.

1. Jason Lawrence

Jason Lawrence New Member

Good morning. I'm a Quality Control Manager in the world of forging. Many of the DWGs we manufacture to state (in the form of a note on the DWG) to forge or manufacture per AMS-F-7190 (Forging, Steel for Aircraft/Aerospace), Grade A or Grade C.

So here is my question:
    Grade A requires the following:
    Tensile
    Hardness
    Magnetic Particle or Fluorescent Penetrant
    Grain Flow (1st time producing the part)
    Chemical Composition

For all of our parts and their many components we maintain quality records (heat treat, plating, passivation, original mill cert, etc.).

In order to supply objective quality evidence that we manufacture to AMS-F-7190, Grade A would it be necessary to send a part to obtain Chemical Composition if we already have an original mill cert stating the chemical composition of the material used in the forging?

Sorry for throwing this at you in my introduction, but I'm not familiar (at all) with this forum quite yet.

Love to hear any thoughts on this topic from the many quality professionals.
    Thank you in advance.

Jason

2. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

Welcome Jason:

I've moved the post out of the AS91XX forum, since it's not strictly related to a QMS to that standard.

Was this, by chance, a question related to auditing that standard? AS 9100?

3. Miner

Miner Moderator Staff Member

I moved it there from the New Member Introduction forum because of this; "per AMS-F-7190 (Forging, Steel for Aircraft/Aerospace)"

4. John C. Abnet

John C. Abnet Well-Known Member

Is original mill cert from a certified 'lab' ? (e.g., I assume the mill's internal lab that generates the cert is ISO1705 certified. If so, no need to re-test....just stand on the mill cert provided. )
    NOTE: I've previously experienced mills generating certs that did NOT provide 'max-min' limits....just results. Something to be aware of.

Hope this helps.

Be well.