1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.
  1. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

I've been told there's a definition of the "automotive process approach" to auditing! It exists!

2. John C. Abnet

John C. Abnet Well-Known Member

Care to share with the rest of us ? ;)

Andy Nichols likes this.
  3. Miner

Miner Moderator Staff Member

And there are photos of Bigfoot... ;)

Andy Nichols and John C. Abnet like this.
  4. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

It’s in a very obscure location! Tucked away in a document, not cross referenced in the IATF 16949 requirements, which is where the “automotive process approach” is mentioned as being required to be understood by internal quality auditors, the definition can (eventually) be located - but only if tipped off by someone who has found the budget, and interest, in purchasing an IATF publication designed for an activity unrelated - except in that the title mentions the word “auditor” - to the activity of internal audit: The IATF Auditor guide, 4th ed. I attach a clip which describes some of section 3. While mainly for 3rd party auditors, it states it might be a useful reference by internal and second party auditors alike. Yeah, right…

Added in edit - still can't find "risk-based thinking" as a definition, however...

Attached File(s): 1. Scan for viruses before using. 2. Report any 'bad' files by reporting this post. 3. Use at your own Risk.:

Last edited: Aug 17, 2023
  5. John C. Abnet

:D

Andy Nichols likes this.
  6. John C. Abnet

Yes, I have that document ....looked it up and found exactly what you showed/described...(of course I've never noticed it before so THANK you for pointing it out).

To your point...
    - not auditable information....
    - not provided in the iATF standard's section 3 Terms and Definitions (mind blowing), and of course the Auditor Guide is
    - not a so called "normative reference" (an entire OTHER conversation).

As I've mentioned before, the next time someone complains about an ISO standard and the technical committees (e.g. TC176) that author them, simply point out the IATF standard and suddenly the ISO standards look VERY well constructed.

Be well.

Andy Nichols likes this.