1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

Does Uncertainty influence the acceptance of the Instrument post-calibration

Discussion in 'Gage Calibration and Uncertainty' started by Ganesh Sundaresan, Nov 19, 2015.

1. Ganesh Sundaresan

Ganesh Sundaresan Active Member

Uncertainty, I understand, is the zone surrounding the Calibration result within which the true value is supposed to exist. This being the case, does an Uncertainty of +/- 3 microns makes an Instrument, that is Calibrated and accepted by a margin of just 2 microns, skeptical for further use?
    Or is my fundamental understanding wrong?

2. Ganesh Sundaresan

Ganesh Sundaresan Active Member

A quick bump.
    Thank you in advance.

3. Qualmx

Qualmx Well-Known Member

Normaly I consider two possibilities.
    The first,i trust in my supplier,I give th em the process tolerance and the equipment,then after calibraton I re eive the uncertainity then I solve the well known uncertainty equation ,from there and according the gotten values I decide if instrument is still suitable for the measurements.
    The other option it is to let the supplier to decide if the instrument it is suitable or not,noy giving them the process tolerance,they take the tolerance from the manufacturer.
    In my case I choose the second option because my tolerances are not too gtight

Ganesh Sundaresan likes this.
  4. drgnrider

drgnrider Member

Generally if you use the 10:1 rule, the uncertainty, for the most part, becomes irrelevant. Otherwise, as Qualmx said, you have to do the math and decide if the uncertainty and margin will work for you.