1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

Document Destruction and Disposition

Discussion in 'ISO 9001:2015 - Quality Management Systems' started by Scott@jmnspecialties, Mar 1, 2023.

1. Scott@jmnspecialties

Scott@jmnspecialties Member

I am working with ISO 9001:2015 and trying to figure out what documentation (if any) of Document Disposition is required. We currently have a form that is filled out by each department with the documents that they are disposing. We also get a Certificate of Destruction from the off site shredding company. Is this adequate?

2. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

Hi Scott. To answer your question with another question: Adequate for what? ISO 9001 doesn't care. However, you may have some "interested parties" with "needs and expectations". I'm guessing there's a back story as to why you have these steps in destroying (hard copy) documents? Regulatory? I.P protection? ISO 9001 leaves such issues to your organization to determine.

Jennifer Kirley and yodon like this.
  3. Scott@jmnspecialties

Thank you Andy, (Adequate for what? ISO 9001 doesn't care) surely answered my question. That is what I thought. The back story is that I am fairly new to the ISO position and this is the way that my organization has been handling this.

4. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

From the perspective of what's an effective approach, this sounds good to me! Do you have something similar for electronic data?

5. Scott@jmnspecialties

I am not sure. I haven't gotten that far yet. I will surely check to see how the electronic data is handled.

Andy Nichols likes this.