1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

Did I Miss an Update to Pre-Audit Planning?

Discussion in 'IATF 16949:2016 - Automotive Quality Systems' started by qmr1976, Oct 19, 2023.

1. qmr1976

qmr1976 Well-Known Member

So, ever since the inception of IATF 16949:2016 I have submitted our pre-audit planning information to our auditor at least one month prior to our audit, as required. I did the same this year and the auditor is just now responding (12 days prior to our scheduled audit) that my pre-audit planning was being rejected due to the processes listed don't match up with what is listed on our process flow map. It never has because on the pre-audit planning it's just asking for internal performance metrics, which we don't have for every process. We determine what our objectives are, right? I have never had my pre-audit planning rejected so I'm a little frustrated. I guess my question would be, did I miss an update to the requirements? It has me second guessing myself now after 7 years of IATF audits.....

2. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

Sadly, it's been my experience that the performance of CBs and their auditors is dropping lower and lower. The CBs management often have no clue that their auditors are sub-par. I'd file an appeal to your CB, along the lines of your post.

qmr1976 likes this.
  3. qmr1976

OK....but what's sad is this auditor was actually over all of the auditors from our CB at one time. I'm guessing she's on the verge of retirement and auditing as little as she can in her golden years. LOL

4. Andy Nichols

Yes, it's called the "Peter Principle"... Don't be surprised that CBs management have little/no clue about the actual process of audits. It's a very small pool.

tony s and qmr1976 like this.
  5. Golfman25

Golfman25 Well-Known Member

I’m guessing you have an auditor expecting a kpi for each process. Good luck.

qmr1976 likes this.
  6. qmr1976

That's what I thought, but not sure at this point. After further pushback from me, she just said that I was correct in thinking that we didn't have to list all of our processes in the pre-audit planning but that since it's a recert audit she would have to document all processes and associated metrics in her audit report. And further stated that she could submit it as is but that her audit report would get rejected if all processes weren't listed and would hold up the renewal of our certification. OK, so what does that have to do with me? She had all of our processes available to her when I submitted supporting documentation with my pre-audit planning report. To satisfy her, I submitted the pre-audit planning with all processes and stated which processes didn't have KPIs associated with them.

7. Golfman25

Golfman25 Well-Known Member

Lazy auditor standard. Like I said, good luck.

qmr1976 likes this.
  8. Andy Nichols

I have witnessed this type of passive-aggressive behavior from 3rd Party auditors. Telling/threatening you that you will "get into trouble" if you don't do "X", "Y" or "Z". If you have this stuff in writing, I'd be passing it on to the CB Operations management for them to clarify the position. I can tell you - as an insider to the industry - many CBs have no clue what their auditors are doing...

qmr1976 likes this.
  9. qmr1976

Good idea! I actually have this information in an email. So, she is either confident in what she's saying or has no clue that it can be held against her. LOL

Andy Nichols likes this.
  10. qmr1976

That was my thought, too. She wanted me to do a lot of the leg work. What really aggravates me most, and I actually told her this is she waits until a week prior to the audit to tell me this when I submitted my pre-audit planning documentation a month ago. My thought to that is a lack of planning on your part doesn't constitute an emergency on my part.

Andy Nichols likes this.
  11. Andy Nichols

This is due, in part, to the 2 fundamental issues CBs avoid addressing:

1. Paying peanuts
    2. Needing a competent being to do a good job

qmr1976 likes this.
  12. Andy Nichols

I have similar emails, sent from the actual auditor's own email address, using their passive aggressiveness... I can't believe they are so stupid!

qmr1976 likes this.
  13. qmr1976

I know...you would think that would be common sense but you know how that works....:rolleyes:

Andy Nichols likes this.
  14. Mikey

Mikey Member

I've noticed the timing (for everything) is getting tighter each year. I got no kind of response to the preplanning info. Got my audit plan 2 days before the start of the recert audit. That was all after struggling to get the audit scheduled in the first place. One month later than it should have been, so we have 30 days less to respond to NC's. Not the auditors fault. They had to take the audit on short notice, and then changed the schedule a few times. The hassle just continues to increase.

15. qmr1976

Oh, that would be frustrating. You would think they would be more timely on their response to pre-audit planning when it comes to a re-cert audit. We just had ours last week and I finally found out from the auditor that the guy who was performing the tech reviews of their pre-audit planning was rejecting them when all of the processes weren't documented on the pre-audit planning worksheet. The lady that trained him said she never listed that as an expectation and told our auditor don't make the clients change their paperwork...too late. She already made me do it because she didn't bother to ask until after I submitted my revised planning. So, it's not a requirement. Just someone on a power trip it sounds like. LOL

16. Mikey

Mikey Member

It's frustrating to say the least. And... you have to coordinate with all your people from the top down. They make plans to get audited, but not sure exactly when that will be. For an operator, they are here every day. For your CEO, timing is a little more critical. It was really tough when the CEO would ask me when he had to be available and I had to say "you know, that's a good question".

qmr1976 likes this.
  17. qmr1976

That's why I always try to get our planning in a month in advance, in hopes of having an audit agenda at least two weeks in advance. I'm lucky if I get it a week in advance. This time around I think it was about a week prior to the audit but there were mistakes that I wanted her to fix before I sent it out. She would send me a revised plan and nothing would be fixed, so I just finally made my own notes on the audit plan and let everyone know that these times are flexible based on everyone's schedule and could be subject to change, depending on how each section goes.

18. Mikey

Mikey Member

I began trying to get the ball rolling about 8 months in advance....