1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

"Demonstrating" Risk Based Thinking

Discussion in 'ISO 9001:2015 - Quality Management Systems' started by QMSmaster, Feb 8, 2016.

1. MCW8888

MCW8888 Well-Known Member

Our procedures and work instructions now have icons that represents the risk of how things are being done. If we are not following these work instructions and policies the risk will be identified as either Quality or HSSE. The impact for quality will be the internal and external customers (that's risk-based thinking for us). We will see during the audit. I am positive that this will fly.

2. Bev D

Bev D Moderator Staff Member

Agree with Sidney that risk based thinking should be applied anywhere the standard discusses risk; else what's the point?

Sidney Vianna likes this.
  3. Sidney Vianna

Sidney Vianna Well-Known Member

Exactly. It is unfortunate that the ISO Guidance documents on RBT are not great in clarifying the expectation on RBT deployment, but in my view, as already mentioned on this thread, RBT is the expected "mind-set/framework/thinking cap" to use when making some of the decisions that "haunt" QMS professionals for ages, such as:

• can I extended the calibration interval of some rarely-used devices?
    • do I need to audit every process every year, as part of my internal audit program? Etc..

as indicated by the explanatory sentence below:

From Annex A4, ISO 9001:2015:

Last edited: Feb 16, 2016
    tony s and Somashekar like this.
  4. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

Or not. Many simply choose to do things because they were, for example, told in a course to do "this" or "that" because that's the conventional wisdom and no-one ever asked "why?"

5. Jennifer Kirley

Jennifer Kirley Moderator Staff Member

You have asked this a few times in various forms. The answer is that CB auditors are not directed to look for or expect particular things. A wide range of things are allowed, and there's no clear expectation for a consistent approach for every process. Indeed, some needs will be small and a simple approach like a checklist or SWOT will be fine. Others will be more complex and a more detailed approach might be worth while. What is appropriate as evidence is what is right for you and helps ensure that customers' and relevant interested parties' requirements are met. Boom, that's it.

The simple answer is there is no simple answer. There is bound to be variation and some auditors will have opinions, but we have the dispute process for them. The standard says "demonstrate." That means a review of one or a combination of:

- documentation
    - interviews with process people
    - observed conditions

Auditors should look for consistency: that conditions reflect what interviews and documents describe, and that involved groups are not describing different things.

I hope this helps!

MCW8888 and RoxaneB like this.
  6. Jennifer Kirley

I agree it is good to review the Technical Committee's document explaining risk, but I humbly wish to point out that this document has been replaced by
    ISO/TC 176/SC2/N1284. It might be best to go straight to the source, the ISO TC/176/SC2 Home Page.

7. Paul Simpson

Paul Simpson Member

Hi,
    Sidney. The point is that is the only requirement where ISO uses the term and yet that is where users seem to be fixated. So, turning it around, if we all concentrate on putting in place systems that identify and manage risks (in the sections of the QMS covered by the ISO 9001 sections I quote) then we will have satisfied the principle of RBT and the only requirement is for top management to support all this good work.

Jennifer Kirley likes this.
  8. Sidney Vianna

It should have been, indeed, a principle listed in ISO 9000. Too bad they did not have the vision to define RBT as the 8th QMP.

9. Leonid

Leonid Well-Known Member

What particular value will be added by RBT to a client? QMS certified to both 2008 and 2015 versions will consistently provide products that meet customer and applicable statutory and regulatory requirements and will aim to enhance customer satisfaction.

10. Jennifer Kirley

What client is not already doing it? I don't know of anyone who gets up every day and acts on a random basis. Every business plan template or software I have seen applies RBT. A checklist that includes "count the sponges before surgery and afterward" is RBT in the operating room. Most people are acting like this is new. It isn't.

Eric Twiname likes this.
  11. Leonid

Leonid Well-Known Member

Let's consider the same mature organization which was certified to 2008 version and now is certified to 2015 version. What advantages and benefits should RBT bring in terms of QMS performance? In both cases conformity of products and enhancement of customer satisfaction is ensured.

12. Bev D

Bev D Moderator Staff Member

Leonid are you premising your question on an assumption that a company that is certified to 2008 is not utilizing any risk based thinking? or perhaps is using only minimal RBT?

Somashekar and Andy Nichols like this.
  13. Eric Twiname

Eric Twiname Well-Known Member

The same advantages they already have for using RBT while certified to 2008.
    The 2015 standard names it...2008 didn't. AFAIK, that's pretty much the only change here.

I keep reading FMEA, Risk Matrix, Documentation of RBT and it makes me cringe.

The world was round long before the Europeans "discovered" the fact.
    Si could be doped to have useful electrical gate properties long before the word transistor was coined.
    Air was softer than metal long before there was an airbag.
    North America existed long before it was on a map.
    ...and RBT was in wide spread use long before the 2015 standard was written.

It makes me wonder where the burden of proof will lie during an audit. Must I prove that I use it, or must the auditor prove that I don't?
    Evidence that I use it has all around the plant for decades. Someone is going to have a very hard time proving that RBT is not used.
    Be darned if I'm going to write and edit hundreds of documents just around someone's new choice of words.

tony s, WCHorn, drgnrider and 2 others like this.
  14. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

I'd hazard to suggest that there are quite a few organizations still practicing ISO 9001 to the 1994 version, since the transition to ISO 9001:2000 was a non-event for many! Discussing maturity when also talking about certified organizations is "risky", since many only do one or two internal audits a year, likewise with management review, which clearly isn't a "mature" approach. Which "maturity" are you speaking of?

15. Paul Simpson

Paul Simpson Member

It was discussed at some length and we decided that it didn't warrant a principle all on its own as all of the content was covered elsewhere. There was a lot of what has turned up in 9001 in 'Context' covered in Customer focus (to include interested parties and their expectations), Improvement (including a risk based approach) and Relationship Management.

As with any decision there are pros and cons, I just hope we came to an acceptable balance.

16. Nick1

Nick1 Member

Hi QMSmaster,

We (my customer and I) did the risk assessment and creating the register with a bottom up approach. We held risk identification sessions with every department to allow the employees to come up with the risks for their part of the business. This allowed us to develop a pretty clear register including the ideas from higher management.

We created a case study out of the approach. Feel free to check it out.

http://blog.qooling.com/iso9001-2015-practical-guide-for-risk-assessment/

AkShef likes this.
  17. Sidney Vianna

Not sure how to understand this sentence. If RBT was something that was easily understood and stood on it is own, we would not have all of these discussions about what RBT entails in the websphere, isn't it? As I see it, RBT would have been THE PRIME candidate to be treated as a QM Principle.

You know very well some people claim that the vagueness in the standard is intended so "additional guidance can be sold" in the form of books, webinars, Technical Specifications, etc. The TC 176 could kill that myth in no time, if they developed and released PRAGMATIC, AUTHORITATIVE Free Guidance Documents. Their first attempt to "explain" RBT was a nonsensical "crossing the road" example. The RBT Presentation is definitely a much better document, but in my estimation, it does not put the issue to rest with the user community and the evidence, once again, is the number of threads and discussions taking place all over the specialized fora.

18. Leonid

Leonid Well-Known Member

Andy, by "mature" I meant a well developed organization.

Bev, I asked to compare QMS-2008 with QMS-2015. The former implements 8.5.3 Preventive action. The latter implements RBT. The organization is the same. What value will be added by implementing RBT as compared with corrective actions toward potential nonconformities?

19. Sidney Vianna

If the preventive action requirement was accomplishing it's objective, why did they dropped it from the standard? Many of us here used to participate in the best web space ever created for quality professionals and, over the years, we had numerous and prolonged discussions on "compliance with 8.5.3". Many of us (myself included) actually were on the record stating that 8.5.3 should be dropped from ISO 9001. While they will NEVER admit it in public, I have no doubt that our discussions in the Elsmar Cove were read by some participants of the TC 176 and our wishes have been answered.

Preventive action requirements (as phrased in 8.5.3 of ISO 9001:2008) created more problems than it solved. RBT is an attempt to maintain a preventive mindset in problem avoidance. But, because ISO provides no AUTHORITATIVE guidance, opinions will continue to clash on what (if anything) is required to comply with it...as this thread exemplifies, together with hundreds of others elsewhere in the websphere.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2016
    tlonkey, tony s, Somashekar and 4 others like this.
  20. Eric Twiname

Eric Twiname Well-Known Member

Ahhhh, finally....

Mindset.
    Not document
    Not Risk Assessment team
    Not deployment
    Not satisfying a requirement
    Not committees
    Not paperwork
    Not implementation
    .......Mindset.