1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

Define standard order and non-standard order

Discussion in 'Other Quality and Business Related Topics' started by MKKIM, Feb 7, 2023.

1. MKKIM

MKKIM Member

Hi,

Now I am reviewing current process in place from sales (opportunity) to goods delivery.

At the moment, our company defined orders into two : Standard order and non-standard order

Especially, when looking at non-standard orders, they are so many different types. It could be a big project order or very agile orders.
    We have project managers to look after the project, including scoping, delivery in their stage - that could be customer side, engineering side, or manufacturing side. However, we do not have a program manger to check a whole process.

My question is that,

1. how do we define orders? just standard and non-standard?

2. If we define multiple process as per order types, it would be more complicated in some way. Is it best to be more general?

3. It is believed that if process is set properly (including handover to each stage), is not required to have a program manger. Or is still best to have one?

I am wondering how other companies define orders and set process differently/accordingly.

2. Miner

Miner Moderator Staff Member

There is no specific requirement, so you should come up with an approach that 1) makes sense to your needs, and 2) actively helps you manage your process. In your case, you may need to further breakdown the non-standard orders. For example, in my company we have 1) catalog product (standard), 2) configure to order (non-standard configuration using standard modules), and 3) engineer to order (non-standard from the ground up).

Strive to be general, but be specific enough to be useful. Try to create product/process families based on similarities.

This will depend on the effectiveness of your system. It should be possible to use program managers for the more complex, but not for the more simple if your process can handle it effectively. If the process cannot, then use a program manager for all. IMHO, even if you do not use a formal program manager, you should still have a single point of contact that has overall responsibility, even if they do not actively program manage.

3. MKKIM

MKKIM Member

Thanks Miner,

Would you please advise me how i can determine effectiveness of current process (from opportunity to good delivery)?

Regards

4. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

How do you currently determine the effectiveness? It's a pretty basic measurement.

5. Miner

Miner Moderator Staff Member

I would look at it from two perspectives:
    • Speed - Does having a program manager process these orders faster than not having one?
    • Quality - Is the quality of orders better with having a program manager than those orders without?