1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

Customer Specification Matrix

Discussion in 'IATF 16949:2016 - Automotive Quality Systems' started by Carlee Gruizinga, Feb 1, 2023.

1. Carlee Gruizinga

Carlee Gruizinga Member

Good afternoon,

We are working towards implementing IATF at our main site. I was wondering if anyone had examples or systems that worked for them to organize the customer specification matrix.

One of our facilities is already IATF certified and they only have two customers at the moment, therefore the matrix we have created is quite simple/small scale. As we add on our headquarters we are looking at quite a list of customers.

Appreciate the insight! Thanks!
    -Carlee

2. qmr1976

qmr1976 Well-Known Member

Hi Carlee!

We just use a very basic matrix of sorts....we list in one column the IATF requirement (Title and clause), a column for our internal procedure that pertains to the requirement and then another column for the customers that have a customer specific requirement for that particular IATF clause. When we were first transitioning from TS to IATF, we were in a hurry to get this document on file so we didn't have time to put together anything elaborate. (An actual matrix using 'X' to indicate the customers) Hope that makes sense! :)

Andy Nichols and John C. Abnet like this.
  3. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

Hi Carlee:

How are you? It seems like forever since we "threw an axe" in K'zoo! :D

I'm with QMR1976. Make simple spreadsheet with the clause numbers and each column across the page for a different client and populate each column with the requirement (I'd use the note/comment function in Excel to do that), so it doesn't become overwhelming to look at.
    For example, if you supply GM and we know they have specifics like product labeling, in the GM column, for IATF clause 8.5.2 you can make a note referencing GM 1738, and records retention IATF clause 7.5.3 can reference GMW15920.

Feel free to let me know if I can help again!

qmr1976 likes this.
  4. Carlee Gruizinga

Carlee Gruizinga Member

Thank you!! Appreciate the feedback.

Yes! Andy - I can't believe that class was over a year ago!! Doing well, just starting to plan our next IATF certification.

Thanks!

Andy Nichols likes this.
  5. Carlee Gruizinga

Carlee Gruizinga Member

Hello again,

I do have another question - do all customers need to be included in the matrix? I assumption is yes since we will be planning to replace our current ISO 9001 certificate with IATF 16949.

Thank you!
    -Carlee

6. qmr1976

qmr1976 Well-Known Member

Good morning, Carlee!

Only your automotive customers need to be listed. Most generally those customers will have a customer specific requirement for the majority of the clauses, and that's where you matrix will come in handy because it organizes that information for a quick reference.

7. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

From a strict compliance issue, since ISO 9001 doesn't recognize "customer specified requirements" per se, the answer is "no". However, viewed practically, if you have customers in any industry, not only automotive, who put in their purchasing documents requirements which are flowed down to you and your suppliers, then I'd add them in. To make a distinction, I'd color code them to differentiate the auto from non-auto customers. So, if you supplied Black and Decker as well as Ford, then B&D's requirements would still be entered into the matrix along with Ford's, but they'd be highlighted in a way to show auto/non-auto.