1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

Competency of internal auditor

Discussion in 'ISO 9001:2015 - Quality Management Systems' started by jacktkt, Jan 27, 2016.

1. MCW8888

MCW8888 Well-Known Member

I believe in this so very much. As a matter of fact in my company I have the reputation of breathing the clauses "Chapter and verse" and living it. Only that the Top Management do not really care about these clauses but they have a strategy and business plan. If the 3rd party auditor finds a nonconformance to the ISO/TS standard, they better also mention where in our policy and our own QMS are we non-compliance and what is the risk to the business and to the customer. I have a plant that, for 10 years, had only 1 minor non-conformance (the training record was not signed by the trainee as required by their procedure). I brought this up to the training class and the trainer asked me about the quality of their internal audit system. The root cause of having a Zero finding during every surveillance and certification audit are: Management Commitment to have the supervisors accountable for making sure that their SOP's are current and complied, and the robustness of their internal audit. They pick these work instructions to pieces making sure that they are in full compliance because of the risk involve to HSSE or Quality. They have met their target KPI, and their CAR log is full of actions to correct any abnormality in the event there is a deviation from the trend. I help them interpret the standard; sometimes their clauses are "off" a bit but in the interpretation of the ISO standard " half of twelve is NOTot always six".

2. Jennifer Kirley

Jennifer Kirley Moderator Staff Member

If a person can be given instructions to such detail and do a check of procedures, etc. on the behest of a process owner, what is the need for an internal auditor?

Does anyone need to know the standard in order to provide information on whether the quality management system is effectively implemented and maintained? If so, who? How will that knowledge be used to collect the low-knowledge auditors' checkmarked boxes and determine system effectiveness?

I agree that there is a lot of bad information about the standard out there. I've been blocked from a LI forum for pointing it out. There is also variation in training/informational session offerings by registrars and consultants. Some are accredited, some not. I've attended a Lead Auditor course in AIAG in which we were told the client must use the core manuals; TS 16949 lists no such requirement. There is, admittedly not nearly enough oversight of training provided.

All that being the case, I believe there is still no logical reason for internal auditors to not have knowledge and understanding of the standard they are evaluating effectiveness against. How they get it is less of an issue than that comprehension of the subject matter combined with skill to apply it results in the competency that 7.2 asks for.

Sidney Vianna likes this.
  3. Sidney Vianna

Sidney Vianna Well-Known Member

Well said, Jennifer. As the internal audit is one of the "check" activities in the PDCA cycle, I support the notion that internal auditors become more effective if they have a strong understanding of the intent of the requirements of the standard.

Auditing for process effectiveness and compliance with requirements are not mutually exclusive and, the more knowledge an auditor has, the more effective s/he can be, in my estimation.

4. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

You can get that without knowing chapter and verse of each clause...

5. Sidney Vianna

I didn't say anything about chapter and verse of the standard but what I advocate goes against the position of internal QMS auditors being blissfully ignorant about the requirements of the ISO 9001, as you mentioned earlier in the thread.

6. Andy Nichols

Internal auditors have, firstly and fore-mostly, to be familiar with business process, what (typically) are the relevant objectives and how the processes are measured to show performance to those objectives.

The main issue I have is NO ONE ever advocates for this, but instead, argue over auditors "knowing" the ISO requirements like it's some kind of rite of passage to do a good job.

Here's the deal: Virtually no training course for auditors goes over the things I've just mentioned, but boy is there a lot of discussion about what's in ISO! Go and check some training courses content - a 2 day course for IA, with 1.5 days going over ISO! Result? People leave the training feeling some kind of "power" that they can "interpret ISO better than anyone, but in truth it means little to nothing when considering their real responsibilities as an auditor. Those of us who have conducted internal audits and coached internal audits (in my case over 20 years of this) will have also seen those hapless candidates searching in the requirements of the standard for something they can "pin" their observations to. I'll even guarantee that if I pose the question - "why is there a requirement to do internal audits?" here - there'll be a significant variety of responses, yet most here have read the ISO requirement many, many times.

Sure, if you believe an internal audit is one which emulates the CB process (which it clearly isn't), then we'll always do what we've always done which is pass audits and delay the value we give to management. While audit findings reference ISO clauses and grades are used to communicate severity auditors will continue to confuse management. While planning for internal audits is done on a "push system" to an (arbitrary) 12 month calendar which ensures internal audits cover all "elements a year" or something similar, no-one will ever see any value from internal audits, other than keeping a certificate on a wall...

7. Sidney Vianna

Just because internal auditors should not be auditing DIRECTLY against ISO 9001, it does not mean they shouldn't be cognizant, aware and well informed about the standard itself.

If someone develops a business process that, by design, fails to comply with the standard, and the internal auditor is verifying that the process is deployed and "effective", that audit is not adding value by uncovering the gap.

In my opinion, to promote ISO 9001 ignorance by internal auditors is extremely counterproductive.

8. Andy Nichols

So, what about the process owners "knowing" ISO requirements? What's being promoted is like making QC people into product designers, so they can second guess the people who are responsible for the designs! That way, nothing can "escape". Why does no-one promote the organization's leadership understanding the relevance of ISO 9001 to their processes etc? Where's the courses and suggested training for them? NOT promoting the Process owners to understand ISO requirements is far more counter productive, IMHO...

charanjit singh likes this.
  9. Sidney Vianna

Based on the title of the thread, I am arguing on competency of internal auditors and the need for them to know the intent of the standards.

As far as I can see, nobody here is promoting the notion that process owners should be ignorant of the standard.

charanjit singh likes this.
  10. Jennifer Kirley

Jennifer Kirley Moderator Staff Member

I have no question that internal auditors should be familiar with business process, what (typically) are the relevant objectives and how the processes are measured to show performance to those objectives. Indeed, that is more important than ever as the process approach is being more strenuously pushed for internal audits.

There is also no question in my mind that process owners should have a greater understanding of the standard than many have had in the past. That too is becoming more important as the Management Rep is no longer an assigned requirement with a list of responsibilities.

The standard's language has been changed to, if I understand the intent right, demystify the requirements and make it less of a Jedi religion and easier for everyone to follow and conform to. After all, the certificate requires demonstrated conformity. Should those process owners gain robust understanding and wish to audit each other, that would be great: eliminate the need for internal auditors. Only they will have become internal auditors. This is also fine. Audits will still be required. Whoever does them should be knowledgeable about the standard so the certification can be transitioned and maintained.

There is still enough confusion surrounding the requirements (people are still overthinking it) that training/education, including self-study, should take place so whoever is doing the audits can be competent (7.2) and organizational knowledge is maintained (7.1.6). No one comes from the egg knowing this stuff. Learning is required. That learning, however does not replace nor should it undermine the pursuit of value-added auditing. I would hope that the activities listed within the standard provide value when effectively implemented. Value and conformance to requirements can and should be complimentary, not mutually exclusive.

11. QMS Jaeger

QMS Jaeger New Member

12. jenks

jenks Member

This is where auditing to a standard and good business practices sometimes have a hard time meshing. Honestly it's the same in the IT world for their audits. I think I understand now where Andy is coming from in that the auditing for compliance doesn't = good business practices. It means 'auditing for compliance'. So if we had our internal auditors more focused on the business, the 'good practices' we naturally adhere to the spirit of the ISO requirements.

I honestly think that's what my company had done. Our internal auditors focused so hard on compliance and clauses, that we were 'compliant' but not really any better for it. Now we've expired, and need help and it just feels all patched together with duct tape.

Andy Nichols likes this.
  13. Andy Nichols

Sadly, this is what they get as a message from auditor training, since the vast majority of training uses a model of auditing which has it's roots in external audits! And that's the objective of that training, for the most part...

14. tony s

tony s Well-Known Member

Internal auditors should not focus on auditing for "conformance" but should give more emphasis on auditing for "performance". Just to cite an example: Most organizations here in the Philippines conduct a "management review meeting" at least once a year covering all the ISO prescribed inputs. In one minutes of the meeting, fulfilling the requirements for a management review can be easily demonstrated. A very auditor-friendly evidences. But everybody knows that they're just doing it for "conformance". The real evidences of "performance" are reviewed and documented during the more frequent operation's meetings or management committee (ManCom) meetings, which are being conducted once a month. However, these important meetings are not being used as the organizations' approach for reviewing the QMS and sadly not being audited.