1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

CMM and Master Ring Calibration

Discussion in 'Gage Calibration and Uncertainty' started by Mark Paul, Nov 13, 2015.

?

Any company known to calibrate ring gages with a CMM?

Poll closed Dec 4, 2015.
  1. Yes, at least one

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Nope, don't even think it

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. Mark Paul

Mark Paul Member

Hard to understand, but there is a push in a certain 150 emp company with ±2000 ring gages from 1/2 inch to 18" wants to "calibrate" our ring gages on a 15 year old B&S Global. These have always been sent to the lab until we merged this year. Actually were sending "x" and above out, but ZZ and Z are now to be done on CMM. CMM calibrated by B&S Techs.

Anyone know with relative certainty and have data on the accuracy of a CMM taking 30 touch points on 3 to 6" ZZ, Z or even X ring gages? How bad could it be? I would like to properly argue against this practice.

2. Jennifer Kirley

Jennifer Kirley Moderator Staff Member

NIST seems to be advertising a service for calibrating ring gages using a high-accuracy CMM (11040S), though I don't know if the practice is supported by ANSI B1.2. What I wonder is your B&S unit's accuracy, its discrimination and the traceability of standards the B&S technicians use for calibrations.

For discussion's sake, Meyer Gage has web page listing the difference between classes X, Z and ZZ.

3. gaugestools

gaugestools Member

We have a blog artilce mentioning the difference between classes X, Z and ZZ there is a data table in the article, it is very clear fixed limit gages