1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

Clause 5.3.1 Responsibility and authority

Discussion in 'ISO 9001:2015 - Quality Management Systems' started by mk241, Jan 15, 2023.

1. mk241

mk241 Member

Hi,

I would like to learn how companies establish/maintain staff's responsibilities and authorities.

Examples would be for responsibilities.
    - Organisational chart
    - Job description

How about authority?

2. Jennifer Kirley

Jennifer Kirley Moderator Staff Member

Ideally the person with responsibility to do something would also have the authority to do it. Otherwise, why assign the role or task?

I my experience, having responsibility but not authority for something can result in organizational dysfunction.

etorresg likes this.
  3. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

I use procedures and/or process diagrams as well as job descriptions to describe authorities. "The Sales Manager has authority to approve a quotation of greater than $100,000"

4. Miner

Miner Moderator Staff Member

There are two types of authority and they are usually handled differently:
    • Positional authority - inherent in the role. I usually see this documented in the position descriptions
    • Delegated authority - delegated to a role by the positional authority. I usually see this documented in procedures or policies

WattsJA and Andy Nichols like this.
  5. tony s

tony s Well-Known Member

ISO/TS 9002:2016 (Quality management systems — Guidelines for the application of ISO 9001:2015) provided this guide in the last paragraph in Section 5.3: "Top management should determine how to communicate the relevant roles, responsibilities and authorities. This could be through the use of relevant documented information, e.g. job descriptions, work instructions, duty statements, organization charts, manuals, procedures."

Other approaches can be on appointment letters, office orders, memorandum circulars, rules and regulations, statutory mandates, letter of authorization, special power of attorney, endorsement, promotion, nomination, winning the votes, oath taking, dubbing a knight, coronation of monarch, etc.:)

Andy Nichols likes this.
  6. Abed Salameh

Abed Salameh Member

I would create Authority Matrix, for different areas, for example authority to approve document, concession, quality inspection/ stamp, sales contract review etc. with primary person and secondary person if required.
    I have found it useful specially when someone is off etc.Of course this is not the only way but include as others mentioned in procedures, WIs, Organizational chart, manual etc.