1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

Clarification on decisions in 6.1

Discussion in 'ISO 9001:2015 - Quality Management Systems' started by Qualmx, Nov 7, 2017.

1. Qualmx

Qualmx Well-Known Member

Hello everybody

Could you explain the possible options when addressing risks?

I´m including what I´m considering, please comment in these points.

NOTE 1 Options to address risks can include avoiding risk, taking risk in order to pursue an opportunity,
    eliminating the risk source, changing the likelihood or consequences, sharing the risk, or retaining risk by informed decision.

1-Avoiding risk At facing a risk for the first time; I decide not to take the risk
    2-Taking risk to pursue.. accepting it, with mitigation or just accept it if it is of low impact?
    3-Eliminating the risk Eliminating, is it something which is existing? is not the same as no. 1?
    4-changing the likehood.. is It accepting with mitigating (reducing)?
    5-Sharing the risks It is to share the risk with someone, because I cant take it?
    6-Retaining risks Should this be to continue having the risk, after one risk is evaluated to be closed?
    Please give your opinions.

Thanks

2. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

These are pretty much as simple as it gets. What do you need explained?

3. Jennifer Kirley

Jennifer Kirley Moderator Staff Member

#1 and #3: Avoiding is to walk around it. Eliminating it is to make it disappear.
    #2: Pursuing risk might be to reduce or eliminate, this looks like it is already described in #3 and #4
    #4: these seem like the same things.
    #5: sharing risk is complex and is susceptible to a tendency to externalize. I don't recommend it.

Please don't make this too complicated.
    • Accept as-is, or
    • avoid (choose to do something different), or
    • reduce (severity through engineering intervention, or administrative change for reducing likelihood), or
    • eliminate (through engineering intervention)