1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

Calibration required?

Discussion in 'ISO 9001:2015 - Quality Management Systems' started by xrat86, Aug 19, 2022.

1. xrat86

xrat86 Member

All,
    Had a recent internal audit, my org choses to hire a consultant to perform this. One of the items in the scope of work for the auditor is - "ensure conformity with the requirements of ISO 9001". During said audit, the auditor witnessed a final acceptance test for a product. The inspector used a multi meter, set to the continuity setting, to confirm that form C contacts change state when certain items are actuated. There are no measurable attributes (V, I, ohms, etc...) related to the final acceptance test.

Post these observations, we had a LENGTHY discussion regarding the use of the multi meter and whether or not the multi meter had to be calibrated per the standard. This meter was not calibrated, as it's sole purpose in life in to check continuity as described above. The auditor wrote an OFI on this, but i think they wanted to make it an NC related to section 7.1.5.1 - "“The organization shall determine and provide the resources needed to ensure valid and reliable results when monitoring or measuring is used to verify the conformity of products and services to requirements".

Continuity is not something that is calibrated in the traditional sense, that i am aware of. The user can confirm that the meter works by simply touching the leads together; think a test-check-test scenario.

Questions -
    Do you, the reader of this, think that the meter needs to be calibrated for these purposes?
    Does section 7.1.5.1 indicate that items used to verify conformity of product are to be calibrated (in the traditional sense)?

Thanks in advance.

2. Miner

Miner Moderator Staff Member

The key element is "ensure valid and reliable results." What are the results of this test? Continuity, not resistance, etc. All you need to do is to verify (on a specified interval) that it can tell the difference between an open or closed circuit. As long as you specify that touching the leads is your method, specify a frequency of verification and maintain any necessary records, you meet the requirement.

3. tony s

tony s Well-Known Member

The standard says in 7.1.5.1b: "The organization shall ensure that the resources provided are maintained to ensure their continuing fitness for their purpose". Calibration is not the only acceptable way to fulfill this statement. Calibration is appropriate for measurement values that are variable (e.g. resistance, voltage, capacitance). The measured values of the device under test are to be compared with the master standard reference values. Continuity is an attribute measurement value. Verification prior to use can be done instead of calibration (see 7.1.5.2a).

xrat86 likes this.
  4. RonR Quality Pro

RonR Quality Pro Active Member

I agree with Miner and tony s. The function of the meter is not to MEASURE the resistance, capacitance, or whatever, which would be a variable measurement. Instead it is used to determine a pass/fail condition - the verification that you perform prior to testing would satisfy the requirement of demonstrating that the instrument is continuing to be fit for its purpose.

5. BradM

BradM Moderator Staff Member

Look at it this way...

You could hook up a horn or a light to be energized when the contact operates correctly. There is no way to calibrate those.

I would just document a suitable device for verifying continuity is to be used (e.g. a continuity meter). If you continue to use a multimeter for this task, I would label the meter accordingly (or list in your system, or however you document it) that it is not calibrated and only used for on/off verification.