1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

Any other hunters here?

Discussion in 'Coffee Break and Community Discussion Forum' started by bearfan454, Mar 31, 2016.

1. bearfan454

bearfan454 Member

I hunt in West Texas. Spring turkey season starts Saturday morning. I'm going.

PaulJSmith likes this.
  2. hogheavenfarm

hogheavenfarm Well-Known Member

I gave up on turkeys, never show up in turkey season, all over the place all other times...

PaulJSmith likes this.
  3. bearfan454

bearfan454 Member

I can get them to gobble back for a long time. They don't usually come in close enough. They raid the deer feeder in the afternoon when it goes off. It's the dinner bell.

4. PaulJSmith

PaulJSmith Well-Known Member

Pretty much just rabbit and squirrel these days. We rarely see turkey on our property.

5. hogheavenfarm

hogheavenfarm Well-Known Member

we have a big flock, probably 12-15 turkeys walk right up the middle of the road every day, except during turkey season. Scares the chickens witless. To much regulation when they introduced the turkeys about 20 years ago, scared off alot of people who would have otherwise hunted them. (Like having to mail one foot and the beard to the DEC) for each bird.
    That and they don't taste like commercial birds, so those were one-shots early on, now the wives hate em.
    All they seemed to accomplish was to bring in the Coyotes. Now it is unsafe to camp alone unless you are in a tree. Some woman was killed not to long ago by a pack. They also like to eat all the neighborhood cats.

6. PaulJSmith

PaulJSmith Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear that. We have turkeys around our area, I just never see them around us.

Our biggest "infestation" problem is with domestic animals dumped by city people. They harass our pets and livestock, and that never ends well for them. Coyotes are a minor problem for us. They generally keep their distance from the farm houses, but they make their presence known every evening, and they are all around. I have yet to convince our new neighbor that his free-range chickens are not helping that problem.

7. normzone

normzone Well-Known Member

Opportunities to hunt are scarce in So Cal - I'd like to learn to skin a deer though.

All my experience hunting is with spear guns off the coast, a mix of scuba and freediving.

8. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

I spend a lot of my day looking for my glasses, does that count?

Emmyd likes this.
  9. Alpine

Alpine Member

My husband is a deer hunter, and so I am a supportive deer hunter's wife. Yes, I do have one on the wall, plus a few antlers. I also have stuffed fish, pheasant, fox and buffalo antlers. Hubby hunts all year round, but we are into Autumn here now, so will going out more than usual. Venison pie anyone? If anyone is interested, he is "Alpine Wolf" on Instagram and Facebook. We make furniture and bags out of the hides and share the meat around as well eat it ourselves.