1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

A question for all you consultants and contractors out there.

Discussion in 'Job Openings and Employment Opportunities' started by JCIC49, Apr 22, 2016.

1. JCIC49

JCIC49 Member

I have a question, request for advice any thoughts you might have.

I am in the position where I am being made redundant and I am now looking for a new job/challenge!

I have spoken to a range of people, from people I have worked with, to agencies say that you should look at contacting and consultancy work.

I have been working in the RA/QA field on medical devices for over 15 years and in medical devices for nearly 23, I am based in the UK

So my questions is, what experience do people have with this and what pitfalls should I look out for and what positive experiences do people have.

Thanks for your thoughts

Jon

2. RoxaneB

RoxaneB Moderator Staff Member

It really depends on what you wish to offer...there's a big difference between implementing a system and auditing a system. Will you offer both? What about teaching?

Would you join an existing consulting/auditing firm or go out on your own? If you go out on your, there's a lot of paperwork and admin aspects to consider, not to mention finding a way to set yourself apart from all the others out there.

I have no idea what the market is like in the UK for your field...would you stay in the UK or would you to work abroad? Keeping in mind that auditing = short, frequent trips ... whereas consulting = (possibly) longer, fewer trips.

You need to consider what you're willing to accept...no...scratch that...you need to consider which lifestyle you're more passionate about.

JCIC49 likes this.
  3. Ronen E

Ronen E Well-Known Member

Wes wrote an article about it in the late Elsmar Cove. Essentially what he wrote (and I tend to agree) was that consulting is different from freelancing and both are not for everyone. He also mentioned that when times are tough many try that path out of despair although it's not their calling.

I think that you should do it only if you have considered it already before you knew you were being made redundant. You have to have some passion about it, it's not like an ordinary job (I refer to running your own show, not to being employed by a consulting firm which is basically just another form of working for someone else). Most important, are you good in marketing / sales? The single most important aspect of working for yourself is promoting yourself, which means getting jobs. If it's currently hard to find an employed job, assume it's equally hard (or harder) to find consulting / freelancing jobs - simply because times are tough and there's a lot of competition. Today social media rules and shameless competitors will overrun you if you play nice and calm (unless you already have a vast network in the "real" world).

Try to think what you're very good at and whether there's a demand for that as an outsourced service (everybody loves free advice but will anyone pay for it?). Also consider your network and connections inside organisations (at decision-making positions) that can help you get started with spreading the word and landing some work initially.

Being based in the UK, you're generally positioned well to take on some work in the EU (assuming you don't mind the travel), though language is sometimes a barrier. I don't know how the economy is doing there right now, though. I'm quite sure that the introduction of ISO 13485:2016 will generate some extra demand in the next 2-3 years, and when the new EU medical devices regulations issue they will sure create a lot of confusion among manufacturers and thus a lot of work for consultants. However, this is not for the immediate future.

Cheers,
    Ronen.

Jennifer Kirley and JCIC49 like this.
  4. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

The first thing to consider is this: How much money do you have to make, before/after taxes, to live the lifestyle and (financial) commitments you currently have? Because THAT alone will tell you when you start extrapolating back to the number of days you'll need to work, rate you can charge/day etc. Believe me when I tell you THAT's the perspective you have to come at this from, not your many years, your industry etc. Look at the cold hard numbers before you consider HOW you're going to make them!

JCIC49 likes this.
  5. JCIC49

JCIC49 Member

Can I thank you all for your replies, they has been included in the thoughts and considerations I have about the next steps I will be taking.

Jon

6. JCIC49

JCIC49 Member

As an update, I have taken a new full time roll following redundancy. Contracting and consultancy will have to wait.

Atul Khandekar and Andy Nichols like this.
  7. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

Good luck!