1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

8D - Congratulate the team- What wording to use ?

Discussion in '5S, 5Why, 8D, TRIZ, SIPOC, RCA, Shainin Methods...' started by Sherri, Nov 19, 2015.

1. Sherri

Sherri New Member

Lots of training emphasize step 8 must be completed (and yes it should), but in my experience this section is often left blank because no-one really knows what to write in here. Verbally we have a chat and 'thank' eachother for support and getting the issue resolved.....but.......

I'm having the same dilemma....... can someone give me an example of actual types of wording / phrases that you would write in this section of an 8D?

2. RoxaneB

RoxaneB Moderator Staff Member

Having the team congratulate the team can seem rather bizarre to some. From my perspective, because the team is involved throughout the initiative, we cheer at the same time when we start to see improvements and do the congratulatory back-slapping at that time.

For me, this last step can be broken down into at least two parts:
    • Lessons Learned - what worked, what didn't work, where are we now compared to before
    • Recognition and Communication - share the results with stakeholders (e.g., other teams, other sister sites (if applicable), suppliers/customers, process owners, etc.)

If you make Lessons Learned part of a documented project story, you can save these storyboards about the initiatives in a library, so that future teams can refer to them.

Lahbib ALAOUA, rmf180 and Bev D like this.
  3. Candi1024

Candi1024 Well-Known Member

Pizza, Donuts, cookies .... :)

4. Ganesh Sundaresan

Ganesh Sundaresan Active Member

My suggestion, do not write anything there, instead write the participants' name on places like Notice board, Management review meeting rooms, Canteen.
    Name and Fame.

MCW8888 likes this.
  5. ncwalker

ncwalker Well-Known Member

I think the question Sherri is asking is more what's the point of it? The step of congratulate the team is an important step. And more than congratulate them, let them know the outcome. There is nothing more frustrating than "sending up" good work to only hear nothing back. It makes people feel like we have them do the "special work" just because we feel like it. So the STEP is important. But what do you put on the 8D to send to your customer (who probably doesn't care too much if you go congratulate your team)?

On our 8D REPORT we have a checklist we generated that reflects all the specific things we need to do to "officially" close it in our system. The customers like it. One of those checklist items is "Core team notified of results."

6. Donald

Donald New Member

The point of it... If it isn't worth it to take the time and congratulate the team for solving the problem using the 8D methodology, than it should not have been an 8D Corrective Action :)

7. MCW8888

MCW8888 Well-Known Member

During the meetings assign a special bulleting board for the 8D participants and recognized them with a HIGH FIVE".