1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

8.5.4 Preservation - Storage Requirements for Safety Boots

Discussion in 'ISO 9001:2015 - Quality Management Systems' started by Suraiya Ramkissoon, Feb 20, 2019.

1. Suraiya Ramkissoon

Suraiya Ramkissoon Active Member

Hi Guys,

I'm not sure if this is the right forum however any assistance would be helpful.

I'm currently implementing ISO 9001:2015 at a dealership and distribution company.

One of the products we distribute is Safety Boots. In relation to 8.5.4 I'm trying to develop a storage plan for ALL our products, however we're not getting the information for safety boots. Is there a particular standard/guideline for storage requirements for safety boots?

Many thanks,
    Suraiya

2. Miner

Miner Moderator Staff Member

You could break it down to the constituent component materials. You would want to protect the boots and packaging from deformation and physical damage. You would also want to protect the materials from degradation (e.g., water damage to leather, oil damage to rubber, etc.) due to foreign materials, degradation due to temperature, etc.

3. Suraiya Ramkissoon

We're trying to develop requirements to prevent degradation due to temperature. But having some difficulties determining the acceptable temperature range.

4. Miner

What are the materials used in the boots?

5. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

Is the supplier the boot's manufacturer? Do you know if they know this information?

6. John C. Abnet

John C. Abnet Well-Known Member

Good day @Suraiya Ramkissoon ;
    I think you may be reading too much into this. Remember, the ISO 9001 does not care if you are making rocket engines or sandwiches , distributing swim suits or nuclear reactors.

In addition, in reading your posts I assume that your organization is not new. I also assume that your organization has been storing/distributing safety boots for a long time. I also assume your organization has methods to ensure that safety boots are not damaged during storage, are inventoried so they can be located and available to ship, etc..etc...

Because of what I have stated above, I would strongly recommend that instead of creating new rules ("developing...plans") and processes, you simply take a look at what your organization already does successfully and "reverse engineer" your ISO 9001 compliance using those already established practices.

Hope this helps.

Be well.

7. Suraiya Ramkissoon

Hi everyone,

Thank's for the responses.

@John C. Abnet you are right we are not a new company nor are we new to the distribution of safety boots. However, I reviewed the current storage and I do not feel it is ideal... there are also a few complaints of the boots being "dry rot" from customers. Hence I am looking for the requirements to store/transport these boots so as to not damage the integrity of the product.

@Andy Nichols and @Miner our supplier does not manufacture the boots, hence we are reaching out to the factory to see what they can advise as it relates to the materials in the boots or if they have any developed storage requirements.

Suraiya

8. Miner

Dry rot in rubber is caused by UV exposure, ozone or fungus. In leather, dry rot is caused by evaporation (heat and time) of the oils present in the leather. Polyurethane will slowly go through a process called hydrolysis if not regularly used. Time appears to be the main factor here.

Edmark Perez and Andy Nichols like this.