1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

8.2.2.1 Determining the requirements for products and services - supplemental

Discussion in 'IATF 16949:2016 - Automotive Quality Systems' started by solanki, Jul 31, 2023.

1. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

Well, not if your selection criteria didn't change! Not all CBs are tarred with the same brush. Yes, there are poor auditors, some even shared across CBs, but the management aren't all the same. Knowing the right questions to ask when selecting a CB is important. Accreditation (which is also a route to explore in the case of poor CB performance), audit day rate & fees and auditor geography don't always factor into performance.

Miner likes this.
  2. tony s

tony s Well-Known Member

As a supplier of a particular product to an automotive company that subscribes to the requirements of IATF 16949, the following approaches can be considered in fulfilling the requirements of 8.2.2.1:
    • Get information about the safety hazards of the materials (i.e. component parts and manufacturing process materials) you use to produce your products. This can be done by acquiring the MSDS or SDS (safety data sheet) of the materials;
    • Know also the environmental hazards of these materials;
    • Establish the controls to prevent safety risks from the materials in affecting your workers (e.g. orient workers on the hazards of handling the materials, provide PPEs, those controls specified in the SDS);
    • Establish the controls to contain and manage the environmental risks in manufacturing your products (e.g. environmental impact reduction controls such as stack emission or wastewater treatment, waste management, by-product storage and treatment, recycling, etc.);
    • Let your safety officer and your pollution control officer determine and ensure compliance with regulatory requirements relevant to your products, materials and operation.

3. Mikey

Mikey Member

Looking at this a little late, but it seems like all NC statements written lately are "The process of ______ is not completely effective". That gives you nothing to go on. Hopefully, auditors are adding the detail in the objective evidence. What did the see (or not see) that objectively demonstrated the process of _____ is not fully effective?

Andy Nichols likes this.
  4. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

I'm not holding my breath on that one. I believe this "canned" verbiage was in response to poorly worded audit non-conformities, coming from incompetent auditors who reported mostly "not following procedures" statements. Although a nice try, it fell short of making auditors look at the results of the process...

5. Mikey

Mikey Member

I know that has been every NC statement I've seen since the transition from TS. Honestly, then too.

Andy Nichols likes this.