1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

Why are some UK CB's issuing non-accredited certificates to ISO 14001:2015?

Discussion in 'Registrars (Certification Bodies) & Registration' started by Sidney Vianna, Sep 17, 2015.

1. Sidney Vianna

Sidney Vianna Well-Known Member

A couple of days ago, ISO 14001:2015 was formally released. Since then, we had two cases of UK organizations announcing their certification against this standard. Pictures available in the press releases online seem to indicate that both certificates don't carry an Accreditation mark, thus, they would have been issued outside of the IAF-flown down accreditation process. If indeed, those are non-accredited certificates, I ask:

• Does that matter for the interested parties?
    • Is that a risk or an opportunity? ;)
    • Good or bad RBT?

2. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

Surely, it's a simple "chicken and egg" situation? Unlike the various conspiracy theorists on Linkedin who seem to think that some kind of demon has taken over the CB industry, I'm thinking that, just as with all independently verified activities (AB/CB) you have to go through the whole process before you can be signed off as compliant. Of course, the certificate issued is unaccredited! There has to be work on the AB's side to issue the report etc. The client possibly wants to be a first so why not? The cert will likely be replaced (after the metaphorical dust has settled) with one bearing an accreditation mark.

Frankly, I'm reminded of the Shakespearian play: "Much Ado About Nothing". After 25 years of this stuff, it shouldn't even be a topic of discussion, except by those fans of "Chicken Little"...:rolleyes:

3. Sidney Vianna

Andy, as you know very well, one CB has already attained accreditation through ANAB to issue ISO 9001:2015 certificates and I could bet some money we will see an ACCREDITED ISO 9001:2015 certificate issued the same day the standard is formally released. The process entailed performing an audit against the FDIS 9001:2015.

So, if the AB's agreed to have such a process for 9001, I am sure they could have done the same for 14001.

When CB's blatantly boast about early adopter certificates, but do so bypassing the accreditation scrutiny there is a risk people start wondering if accreditation has value.

As I asked the question, I am glad you took the time to answer, but please don't belittle the issue.

4. Andy Nichols

How can you "belittle" something which is blown up, out of proportion? I choose not to agree with all the sky's falling brigade. I have a different opinion, that's all. We disagree about most things, it seems. Be that as it may. It's not belittling, just an alternate viewpoint.

5. Sidney Vianna

I wrote a (factual) statement and asked 3 questions. How is that blowing anything out of proportion? If asking relevant questions is not acceptable, that equates to censorship.

The questions are just that: questions. People's reactions, including an attempt to silence the answers by association with chicken little inference are the telling part.

6. Andy Nichols

Its "two cases"... How does issuing 2 certificates (which are probably just part of the accreditation process and will be replaced by UKAS/ANAB logo version), constitute anything worth any such questions in an international forum?

7. Sidney Vianna

By asking the questions, an opportunity is created by people in the know to come forward and transparently explain the non accredited certificates are a deliberate step in the process of attaining accreditation for ISO 14001:2015.

As for your opinion that my question is worthless and undeserving of being asked here, thank you.

8. Atul Khandekar

Atul Khandekar Administrator Staff Member

OK, guys...
    [​IMG]

hogheavenfarm likes this.
  9. Chris55

Chris55 Member

Getting ISO Certification from ISO Accreditation certification is only the worth. But, today many consultants just advertise and sales the ISO Certification. Without the accreditation mark, the iso certification is worthless.

This also happens in UAE, you can check this news - http://gulfnews.com/xpress/news/xpr...-sale-of-iso-certificates-uncovered-1.1979048

:D