1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

When to use IATF and when not to?

Discussion in 'IATF 16949:2016 - Automotive Quality Systems' started by Daniel Robinson, Aug 25, 2023.

1. Daniel Robinson

Daniel Robinson New Member

Hello,

I'm new to the Forum and new to IATF. I wasn't able to get a clear answer from our auditor so I thought I'd reach out to the community here. Here's my questions (in several parts):

When do we apply the IATF standard. Does it have to be when we are selling to an automotive OEM? What if we're selling to a distributor who then resells our parts to many industries, including automotive? Suppose we sold to a distributor who then sold to another distributor and then eventually to an automotive manufacturer? I guess I'm wondering if the chain is diluted, does the IATF responsibility shift to any of the suppliers (who may not require us to do anything related to IATF, it would just be a self-imposed standard).

It's pretty clear that when selling to an automotive OEM that we apply the IATF, I just get confused when the supply chain gets more complicated.

Thank you - looking forward to your responses!!

-Dan

2. qmr1976

qmr1976 Well-Known Member

The Rules for Achieving and Maintaining IATF Certification specifies who is eligible for IATF certification, but it really comes down to if who you are supplying requires it.

Attached File(s): 1. Scan for viruses before using. 2. Report any 'bad' files by reporting this post. 3. Use at your own Risk.:

3. John C. Abnet

John C. Abnet Well-Known Member

Good day @Daniel Robinson and welcome to the site.

The short answer is: Your company is ONLY eligible for IATF 16949:2016 certification if it manufactures parts/components for conventional road licensed vehicles.

Here is the applicable excerpt from the 'rules-5th edition' that provides the detail.

Hope this helps.
    Be well.

Attached File(s): 1. Scan for viruses before using. 2. Report any 'bad' files by reporting this post. 3. Use at your own Risk.:

4. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

If the auditor isn’t a qualified IATF 16949 one, then they aren’t likely to know all the rules in the book @John C. Abnet mentions. In case of questions, always refer to the Ops mgmt at your CB. You pay enough, make them earn it!
    @John C. Abnet is correct.
    To answer your question, your IATF-compliant QMS is used to assure the quality of (automotive) product - wherever you sell it,

John C. Abnet likes this.
  5. Golfman25

Golfman25 Well-Known Member

So are you talking about dual use products? Aftermarket ?

We had similar situations with our products. Some went on road and some off road. Some where aftermarket. Always a PIA to figure our which was which. What we did was apply IATF to all products we provided for a particular OEM customer. Where we would get into trouble was with things like PPAP and the extend of documentation that was required. So we then tried to distinguish between parts for audit purposes so we didn't get ourselves into useless "trouble" -- we would only allow the auditor to audit truly IATF parts. We eventually dropped IATF all together when it became insanely stupid to continue.