1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

What needs to be done to transfer an ISO certificate to a new facility?

Discussion in 'ISO 9001:2008 - Quality Management Systems' started by Golfman25, Jan 30, 2016.

1. Golfman25

Golfman25 Well-Known Member

So if a company is ISO certified at an old location. It sells that location and moves to a new location a few miles away. What does it need to do to keep it's certificate? Does it start all over? Can you just continue with normal surveillance audits? what? Thanks.

2. MCW8888

MCW8888 Well-Known Member

Do you have any Management of Change Process? Maybe take it up un the Management Review?

3. Jennifer Kirley

Jennifer Kirley Moderator Staff Member

This is a question for your CB. I could cite some rules, but they control your certificate. Have you asked them?

Claes Gefvenberg likes this.
  4. Golfman25

I'm just wondering what the rules are.

5. MCW8888

Your CB is one of the External influence that needs to be notified if there is any change that may affect your certification. Jennifer is right.

6. Jennifer Kirley

Is your site TS 16949, ISO 9001 or certified to another standard? I am sorry, I forget.

7. Golfman25

Currently TS but am considering ISO 9001 as future project since our major player is no longer part of the TS scheme. But we will also likely be relocating in the future. Just want to know the rules -- start over, continue as is, or somewhere in between.

8. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

If you are ISO/TS 16949, have you checked on the TS rules book? This and the online FAQs are the first place to start your research.

9. Golfman25

I know the rules for TS. In fact, they are very specific. If you meet certain requirements, you can start with a recertification. If you don't, you have to start over at stage 1.

I am just wondering if the rules for plain old ISO are any different. Thanks.

10. Jennifer Kirley

I don't find any requirements for ISO. MD 2 involves a certification transfer from one registrar to another.

11. Jennifer Kirley

Do you mean IAF MD 3:2008?

12. Sidney Vianna

Sidney Vianna Well-Known Member

Because there are NO established IAF mandatory documents covering this and ISO 17021-1 is mute about this type of situation, it is up to each CB to determine what needs to happen.

When I was evaluating situations such as this, working for a CB, I would ask:

1. Have you lost any of the work force due to the relocation? If so, that would mean that new employees would have to be brought on board and made competent for their respective functions?
    2. Is there any piece of production/inspection equipment that requires re-validation, post installation?
    3. Are there any new work environments that could affect product conformity?
    Etc...

Depending on the impact of the relocation onto the certified QMS, a specific course of action would be developed. Best case scenario, where no significant impact onto the certified QMS was identified, we would keep on the surveillance audit program and, after the first audit at the new location, we would issue a new certificate with the new address.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2016
  13. MCW8888

To follow up on Jennifer's response, suggest contacting the CB because they are the external party that affect your conformity to ISO 9001 and so must be kept notified of changes to the QMS.

14. Leonid

Leonid Well-Known Member

Please refer to ISO 17021:2015 Part 1 cl. 8.5.3 Notice of changes by a certified client
    "The certification body shall have legally enforceable arrangements to ensure that the certified client informs the certification body, without delay, of matters that may affect the capability of the management system to continue to fulfil the requirements of the standard used for certification. These include, for example, changes relating to:

a) the legal, commercial, organizational status or ownership;
    b) organization and management (e.g. key managerial, decision-making or technical staff);
    c) contact address and sites;
    d) scope of operations under the certified management system;
    e) major changes to the management system and processes.
    The certification body shall take action as appropriate.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 4, 2016