1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

What do YOU call..

Discussion in 'Manufacturing and Related Processes' started by Candi1024, Mar 16, 2016.

1. Candi1024

Candi1024 Well-Known Member

We are having difficulty agreeing on a word for this. It seems that we have all called it something different in past jobs. Maybe some of your ideas would be better for us.

A set of parameters that you enter into automated equipment. Usually with different ones to choose from. For example, Choose the 3rd saved setting on the centrifuge.

Maybe it's a program, but we use program for the ladder logic and such that programs the controllers.

Not settings, because we use that to imply something you set or check at each use and is easily visible, like the temperature on your oven at home.

Could be called process parameters, but some tend to think of that as the final requirement. For example the temperature of the room, but in reality there may be a couple variables in a controller to determine how it keeps that temperature stable.

Could be called recipes, but some are thinking of cupcake recipes.

Any other verbiage that you use? Am I being as clear as mud? lol

2. Miner

Miner Moderator Staff Member

Companies that I have work for have used programs (machining) or recipes (rubber mixing). From what I have seen at suppliers, anything that involve ingredients, time and temperature tends to be called a recipe, although one supplier called it a formula.

3. Eric Twiname

Eric Twiname Well-Known Member

The places I've been:

Adding materials together = "Recipe" (making a chemical product like paint or pharma)
    Inputting parameters to equipment = "Program" (Running a furnace profile, using an automated press)
    Selecting on option without changing parameters = "Selection" or "Option" or "routine" or again "Program" (Choosing a pre-programmed CMM routine, choosing a pre-programmed Labview routine)

HTH

4. Sidney Vianna

Sidney Vianna Well-Known Member

In addition to what has already been offered, I've seen things like this called a "profile".

5. Eric Twiname

Just curiosity...is there a reason to burn calories on agreement of a term? Has there been an actual communication failure due to this? Or is it just someone's pet peeve?

6. Candi1024

I'm working on a CAPA that address controlling such things, and there has been a lot of wasted time in explaining what is meant by the terms we are using.

7. equilibrium

equilibrium Member

I would call it a configuration, which is essentially not much different than a setting but the connotation is something slightly more involved.

8. Reluctance

Reluctance Member

Many of our automated product testers call this an Index. The Index is selected based on product being tested and holds the particular settings for the product. Settings can always be changed within an Index as needed. The Index just makes it easier to get to the desired settings and reduces setup error.

9. Eric Twiname

Be careful in the wording of the CA. "controlling" spoken language is typically a hairy mess that you wish later you never stepped into.
    Raising awareness that there is a sensitive terminology issue that can cause miscommunication is typically all that is required in my experience.

I wonder how the discussion with an auditor would go when they investigate the effectiveness of changing people's spoken words...

10. Candi1024

We aren't trying to change spoken words. Just trying to create less confusion in my report.

11. normzone

normzone Well-Known Member

When you've got it all sorted out, you may wish to consider capturing the definitions you agree upon in a process document someplace, and train accordingly.

Or you could just go through all of this again every couple of years if that's more fun.

drgnrider, Candi1024 and Ronen E like this.
  12. Jamie Lill

Jamie Lill Member

just call them variables and or unknown constants

13. Mary

Mary New Member

We call these program specifications (PS). Basically they are software components that have certain saved settings. These items are also required to go through change control if they need to change.

14. Candi1024

Oh I like that, and it's one I haven't heard yet!