1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

Turtle diagram for processes

Discussion in 'IATF 16949:2016 - Automotive Quality Systems' started by Leon Oosthuizen, Jan 9, 2018.

1. Leon Oosthuizen

Leon Oosthuizen New Member

Will it be sufficient to show the external auditor with this type of "turtle" and content for each process? I will be including each clause number into each description as well.
    Examples and comments are welcome.

Attached File(s): 1. Scan for viruses before using. 2. Report any 'bad' files by reporting this post. 3. Use at your own Risk.:

2. Serious Man

Serious Man Active Member

I suggest - do not think about external auditor, think about requirements and how they can help your organisation.
    Vital item of turtle diagram is turtle itself. I do not see guts, just limbs.

Additionally some items are improperly placed, e.g. raw materials.

yodon likes this.
  3. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

Agreed with Serious Man's comment about showing any external auditor anything. What they "accept" is open to too much variation in their understanding.

I would never, ever suggest using Turtles for anything, except soup. I've yet, in 20+ years, seen an effective QMS documented in such a fashion. They miss a key point which is the sequence of the interacting (mainly support) processes. Filling "buckets" labeled "Who", "With what" and so on isn't how an effective QMS works. A far better method is to develop a proper process map (NOT a flow chart) or value stream map (like a Lean implementation would) to see the way a process actually works - warts and all. Only this provides a true picture of the process and will show improvement needs.

johnnymo77 and RoxaneB like this.
  4. Raffy

Raffy Member

With regard to turtle diagram, is it a requirement as part of the Internal Audit process to use? If not what could be the alternative that I may use aside from checklist? Please advice. Thank you very much in advance.
    Best,
    Raffy

5. Andy Nichols

No. You can use whatever you wish. I find just marking up a procedure or process map etc with a highlighter works (but I've been auditing for 30 years)

6. Raffy

Raffy Member

Hi Andy, thank you for your immediate response. In marking a procedure or process map, will the said documented information enough evidence to show to an auditor?
    Thanks in advance.
    Best,
    Raffy

7. Andy Nichols

Who knows what an auditor will be satisfied with? It's impossible to tell. Better ask yourself, is this going to be suitable for us to do an effective audit? Doing things to satisfy an auditor is the wrong goal.