1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

Treating opportunities (6.1 risk and opps.) as it was before, just improvement

Discussion in 'ISO 9001:2015 - Quality Management Systems' started by Qualmx, Sep 29, 2017.

1. Qualmx

Qualmx Well-Known Member

Hi all

In looking to find ways to treat risk and opportunities, according 6.1.

I feel that some of us (at least me) are looking special ways to detect/treat the opportunities.
    I think it is because the standard says Risk and opportunities, and we try to detect opportunities linked to risks, and because for risk we are using several methods, (brainstorming, fishbone, FMEA,etc.).
    In the same way, I look for some tool to treat the opportunity.

As we know, in this forum some members suggest not to make complicated this requirement, just
    using RBT, just detect and apply some actions, nothing of complex analysis, ok, trying to follow this idea, I plan to use , risk matrix and fishbone for risk, and for opportunities, I was trying to use a similar tool, but after made some searching of methods, I concluded it is not worth the effort to do it in this way.

So I decided to treat the opportunity as it was before in the 2008 version.

For example, when an opportunity appears, I will decide if is taken or not, by requesting to fill out a form, to justify the project, the cost ,etc. after been evaluated, we will decide it yes or not, this practice is named in my system improvement project.

This way all the improvement plans including that one in 6.1 (risk and opportunities) will be treated in this way.

Please comment about this.

Thanks

2. RoxaneB

RoxaneB Moderator Staff Member

I think opportunities should be handled in a fashion similar to nonconformances. If it's a "big" nonconformance, we go through root cause analysis, action planning, etc. If it's something small, we fix it and get back to work.

Some opportunities are big - changing scheduling software to link up to billing software, for example.

Other opportunities are small, such as adding a tv to the lunchroom to communicate company news.

Not every opportunity requires documentation, justification, and evaluation. Having too rigid a process means people will look for ways to avoid it...there should be some flexibility within a system/process, as appropriate.