1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hello and Welcome to The Quality Forum Online...Continuing in the spirit of People Helping People !
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

Torque measurement on a ball and socket joint

Discussion in 'Other Quality and Business Related Topics' started by stephsgee, Sep 14, 2017.

1. stephsgee

stephsgee New Member

I am trying to figure out a way to measure the torque on a ball and socket joint. The ball and socket joint in this case does not necessarily need to be friction-less which is why I am looking for a quantitative way to measure this value.

The issue that I am running into is that the torque is being applied around 2 axes rather than just 1, so traditional torque measuring tools would not work.

2. Miner

Miner Moderator Staff Member

Are you checking it in one axis and then again in a second axis? Or is the movement actually lie in a plane that is tilted in respect to your coordinate system? Or is it a complex nonlinear motion?

3. stephsgee

stephsgee New Member

The movement is like making a cone. There is a fixed point at the bottom and the rod is tilted. The top of the rod can then move in a circular motion.

4. Miner

Miner Moderator Staff Member

Can you make an attachment that can be driven from the axis of the cone?

5. stephsgee

stephsgee New Member