1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

Torque measurement on a ball and socket joint

Discussion in 'Other Quality and Business Related Topics' started by stephsgee, Sep 14, 2017.

1. stephsgee

stephsgee New Member

I am trying to figure out a way to measure the torque on a ball and socket joint. The ball and socket joint in this case does not necessarily need to be friction-less which is why I am looking for a quantitative way to measure this value.

The issue that I am running into is that the torque is being applied around 2 axes rather than just 1, so traditional torque measuring tools would not work.

2. Miner

Miner Moderator Staff Member

Are you checking it in one axis and then again in a second axis? Or is the movement actually lie in a plane that is tilted in respect to your coordinate system? Or is it a complex nonlinear motion?

3. stephsgee

stephsgee New Member

The movement is like making a cone. There is a fixed point at the bottom and the rod is tilted. The top of the rod can then move in a circular motion.

4. Miner

Miner Moderator Staff Member

Can you make an attachment that can be driven from the axis of the cone?

5. stephsgee

stephsgee New Member