1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

The Beginning of the End?

Discussion in 'ISO 19011 - Auditing Management Systems Guidelines' started by Andy Nichols, Aug 4, 2023.

1. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

Unless you live under a rock, the spectre of Artificial Intelligence, Machine Learning, Industry 4.0 and "Quality 4.0" (whatever that is) will have an impact on the practices we know as auditing.

Indeed, some have postulated that technology will make auditing, as we know it, obsolete.

Anyone have any thoughts on this? Should younger auditors be thinking "Armageddon"? As in "Armageddon out of Auditing!"

2. Golfman25

Golfman25 Well-Known Member

Someone has to audit the machines, no? Otherwise, welcome to Terminator 3. :)

3. Andy Nichols

That's a very interesting point! In talking with some colleagues who are SMEs in this stuff, there would be machines which are IIOT connected, so that they learn from variations in product, fed back from automated inspections of key characteristics, in real time. They can learn from various inputs, such as machine temperature to perform closed-loop controls on parameters to keep within the specifications and if not, shut down and alarm.

4. Jennifer Kirley

Jennifer Kirley Moderator Staff Member

I wonder how AI would manage the onsite observation of conditions in, say a foundry or chemical refinery.

Until that gap is bridged, I do not see us as being replaced though I can certainly anticipate people wanting to replace us.

5. Andy Nichols

Through the use of sensors, cameras etc. there’s actually very little which cannot be observed by a network of IIOT connected sensors. In many cases, the human work in refineries, foundries and similar, is being replaced by automation, since those environments are not where people want/should work. Hence, cobots/robots etc can do the work.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2023
  6. tony s

tony s Well-Known Member

I agree. If there are robot auditors, there should be robot auditees or even robot top management.

7. UncannyThumbs

UncannyThumbs New Member

I think alignment problems will keep humans involved in AI auditing. The paper Concrete Problems in AI Safety discusses some of these issues. It seems easier to specify "do what the human wants you to do and seek feedback from the human to confirm alignment" than to specify exactly what we want an AI to do.

Andy Nichols likes this.